Monday, May 28, 2012

{DIY ampersand painting tutorial}

I finally did my picture wall! Goodbye huge clock! Hello cute pictures! I had an idea of what I wanted for my wall and I have a thing for ampersands, so when I was thinking of what to do with my wall, I decided to paint my own ampersand! This was such an easy, fast project and you can do it in so many colors! Here's how I did it...

First, I bought a cheap white 10x10 canvas from Big Lots for $5. Then I spray painted it with glossy Krylon spray paint in Navy. Since my canvas was white, I had to paint a few coats. Be patient & let it dry in between coats or you'll end up with a streaky mess!

After I sprayed my canvas, I grabbed an array of white paints, a pencil, fine tipped paint brushes, & printed a big ol' ampersand out on my computer. I found the ampersand I liked on Pinterest and I used photoshop to make it big - really big- like 7" or so.
 Then I roughly cut my amperand out, laid it on my canvas, and traced around it with a pencil. The pencil was visible enough to outline and know where I needed to paint, but if you use a darker shade of paint than navy, you might need to outline with a white pen to see where to paint.
 After I outlined my stencil, I started painting! I used a color called egg shell for the overall color, and then on the left edges of my ampersand, I painted bright white to give a little dimension (although it's hard to tell from the picture). Make sure you use a fine tip paint brush that's not too flimsy. My tip was probably about 1/4" thick with a pointed tip.
 
 Once I was finished and let it dry, I hung it with some other pictures and I love how it turned out!

3 comments:

cathycan said...

I LOVE it!! And your new dining table, and the stripes and everything!! Help me update my house!!

lifeinredshoes said...

Very fresh and bold without being overly done!
Love the color combo.

katieokeefeblog said...

Did you have any trouble with pencil marks being left behind? I have done this before, but I've always had a hard time over up the pencil without messing up the shapes.