Thursday, March 15, 2012

{chicken fiesta nacho dip}

So lately I haven't wanted to cook- at all. For example- the other night, I said to hell with it and made tuna sandwiches. Except we didn't have any bread because I've been too busy to go grocery shopping. So we ate it with crackers. Don't judge.

I mean, I get it. I won't be winning any wife of the year awards, but honestly, that's okay. See, I do 99.9% of the cooking around this neck of the woods. My husband is capable of making the following: Velveeta mac and cheese, waffles, sandwiches, and pigs in a blanket. While I do love me some Velveeta & hot dogs wrapped in Pillsbury croissant rolls, I don't want it every week. You see, growing up, the hubs mom did all of the cooking (and cleaning, but I'll rant about that later). Then, when he was in his late teens/early twenties in the Philippines (serving a church mission for two years), he had maids/cooks. He's been spoiled his whole life, and I had no idea until we were locked in holy matrimony that the man couldn't cook to save his life. I was deceived into thinking he could at least grill up some chicken, as he had made (or so I thought) a lovely meal of grilled chicken when we were dating. Little did I know, his mom made it and he took the credit!

Anyway, so like I said, lately, I've let dinner run it's own course. Every night I come home from work and think to myself, "Gosh, how lovely would it be to come home from a long day at work, take a shower, and sit down to a nice, well balanced (hot) meal that someone's prepared for me?" (I wouldn't know...actually, I would, but those were the days when I lived at home and mom cooked...thanks mom! I truly appreciate you now!)

So today, the hubs had the day off and I sent him to the store for some supplies.When I got home, I sat him down and gingerly told him that he's gonna start learning the basics of cooking. Come hell or high water, we're going to start taking turns making dinner! His enthusiasm for this new project was not as high as I expected it to be, but at least he didn't argue it, so I checked it off as a victory. We'll start with the basics- tacos, pasta, grilling, etc...easy stuff, you know? The guy likes to work with his hands, so chopping and stirring is right up his alley!

Tonight we started with something very basic- it's easy, fast, filling, and low fat.

I call it Chicken Fiesta Nacho Dip. Here's how you make it...

1 can black beans rinsed & drained (low sodium is what we use)
1 can sweet corn drained
1 can Rotel drained
1 can diced chilis
1 block of fat free cream cheese
1 tsp chili powder
2 chicken breasts, grilled and shredded
Diced jalepenos (optional if you want an extra kick)
Shredded cheddar cheese (optional if you want it extra cheesy) 

Mix all ingredients in a large pot, stirring until the cream cheese has melted. Serve with tortilla chips or scoop into soft tortillas and bake as enchiladas.

See, easy peasy. Now let's see if teaching the hubs how to cook is as easy. Wish me luck!


4 comments:

pollydove said...

Oooohhhhh!!!! This looks SOOOO yummy to me right now! I will have to try it!

(I kind of cook like your husband. Now that is sad.)

The J J Glenn Family said...

yum! Thanks for my next dinner. I usually have all of those ingredients on hand. It sounds like a chicken chill slow cooker meal that I make. Check it out www.mandsrecipes.blogspot.com. Mine is a weight watchers meal ( except the tortilla chips). This looks so yummy.

OHhh and If I had to work outside of the home everyday there is no way I would be excited about cooking either. blah.

What part of the Phillipines did your husband serve?

cathycan said...

the trick to Andrew cooking is easy, tasty recipe he really likes!
Cook up a bunch of chicken breasts some Sat. Get them cheap, bone-in, and just season well, bake or stove top. then just pull the meat off and put it into freezer bags in what ever portion you need, 1 lb etc.. All you or Andrew has to do is thaw it in the microwave!

Katy Campbell said...

My husband is very much the same. He thinks cooking is some mysterious gift that only some people have...I've been telling him that this "mysterious gift" is called recipe cards and just following them! I started freezer cooking two months ago, and it has drastically changed our meals - now I get to relax every night around dinner time! I am determined however, to teach our son(s) how to cook so when they go off and get married they can make their wives swoon every so often- by making them a meal!