Monday, January 23, 2012

{Sundance Film Festival 2012 - Middle of Nowhere}

Photobucket

Living in Utah and in close proximity to Park City, it's completely natural and a common occurance to see celebrities right and left this time of year. Afterall, there is a film festival going on.

Let's just say Andy Samburg is not on a boat and Taylor Swift is currently freezing her teeny little arms off.

The truth is, most of the time you don't see a celebrity. I've gone up to the film festival a handful of times to see who I could spot, and my one and only celebrity sighting was Bennifer years ago at a gas station. It was late- like midnight, and they were pumping gas into a large SUV while I gawked and pumped gas into my red little Plymouth Acclaim. Naturally, my friends and I wanted to play it cool and didn't dare take a picture (this was before I even owned a cell phone, let alone one with a camera on it), but we squealed and screamed as they drove away. Then we did what any 19 year olds would do. We tried to nonchalantly follow their SUV, until they drove into a gated community and the chase was over. I'm not sure what we were thinking...actually, I do. We were probably thinking that we'd follow them to a party with P-Diddy and get invited in! (Bennifer, in case you can't remember is what they called Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez when they were dating. Yes, it was that long ago!)

And in all the years the festival has been going on, I've never seen a film...until this year (thanks to my amazing mom)!

Last Saturday, we brunched at Gourmandise and then headed over to the Rose Wagner Theater for the showing of Middle of Nowhere.

I loved the film. It was beautifully shot and it was thought provoking. There was some great eye candy (I'm talking to you Omari Hardwick) and I loved Emayatzy Corinealdi's hair. She was overall lovely.

After the film, a few of the cast memebers came out for a quick Q & A with the audience. It was such a treat and so neat to see the stars up close and personal! Of course, my mind blanked and I couldn't think of anything intellectual to say. All I wanted to say was, "Damn baby, you fine" to Omari. Luckily, there were people in the audience who commented and spoke exactly what I had thought of the film. If you get the chance to see it, you must!

 

Also, at the end of the film, the audience members had the opportunity to vote for the film as it was eligible for an audience award. Of course I gave it the highest rating and I hope it wins! Have you seen any films this year? What did you think?

11 comments:

nichole said...

we've seen a few films this year...
I cried through almost the whole film when I went to see "Beasts of the Southern Wild" -four stars from me.

The other two Celeste & Jesse Forever (good but not great) and a documentary called The Ambassador (interesting, but not at all satisfying.)

Are you going to any more?

Rachel Bailey said...

I love Park City! Ryan and I lived there for a couple of years when we were first married. I worked at a little shop downtown and had a couple of run-ins with a couple of celebrities over the years! I never have gone to see a movie before, although I would love to someday. Sounds like a fun day! LOVE your blog!

The Author said...

My friend and I went up strictly to see celebrities. It was great! We found a "hot spot" and got our pictures taken with Kate Bosworth, Jon Heder, Wentworth Miller from Prison Break, Nia Vardalos, Allison Janney. We saw Elizabeth Olsen, Sean Penn, Ice-Cube and a few others I recognized but didn't know their names.

Each year T-Mobile does a photo booth for the stars and puts them online. If you can find the booth, which we obviously did, you can find the stars. We were only there for an hour and saw so many people.
Next time I want to see a movie, too.

Mands Glenn said...

There are times here and there when I really miss Utah and one is the week of the film festival. The whole place lights up and it becomes Hollywood. So lucky you got to go to a show.

mary_wem said...

"The Author" did you see Wentworth in the festival and took a photo too? Could you give us some more details or maybe show us the pictures with him pls? :)

wentaddict said...

You would make thousands, ah...what am I telling - Millions! of Wentworth-Miller-Fans happy, if you would post the photo of him.
We all just want to see "our man" is still alive. He's been hiding for such a long time.
So make our day - give us some soul food!
THANK you in regards,
wentaddict

The Author said...

If only there was a way to post pics in the comments, maybe I'll have to send it to Shannon to post. I did take his picture with my friend. And he is a very tall, very intimidating guy.

Anonymous said...

That would be cool! Thanks author and Shannon! :)

Mills1 said...

Eternal thanks if we can see Went. Let me know if a problem posting. Happy to post with your credit and link .
@cafewentblogspot.
Best wishes
Mills1

Mills1 said...

Eternal thanks if we can see Went. Let me know if a problem posting. Happy to post with your credit and link .
@cafewentblogspot.
Best wishes
Mills1

Mills1 said...

http://cafewent.blogspot.com/2012/01/sundance.html

Sorry forgot to leave my link.

Thankyou
Mills1