Saturday, January 8, 2011

{downstairs bathroom}

After living in our house for 18 month, I finally decided to spruce up our downstairs bathroom a bit! My parents bought me a roll of Martha Stewart paintable bead board wallpaper for Christmas and I put it up Monday afternoon. So far, the makeover is going really well!

I was a little worried about putting the wallpaper up because it didn't come pre-pasted (you know, the kind you dip in water and then stick to the wall), but after buying a quart of wallpaper paste from home depot and rolling it on the walls like paint, I realized it wasn't too hard! It was actually very easy! I just did a section at a time- roll the roller in paste, roll it on the wall, and then stick the wallpaper to it. Easy peasy!

I decided I only wanted to go about 2/3 up the wall with the bead board, so I bought some trim to finish it off at the top & bottom. I started the bead board up a little higher up too, to give the illusion of taller base boards! I'll add another skinny piece of trim to the bottom of the bead board to finish the look. For now, here is the progress!
Before:
Photobucket
Almost done:
Photobucket

11 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh it looks fabulous. It gives the bathroom such character and detail. Gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

The Atkinson Family Blog said...

Wow!! I love it Shan! I want to know where your mom got that wallpaper!?

Breezy said...

It looks WONDERFUL!!!!!!

Laura said...

Wow! Love it! I didn't know they made such a thing... does it have grooves, just like real beadboard? You are so amazin'.

Chelsea said...

Wow, I can't believe that is wallpaper! It looks great!

Jen said...

I LOVE it! I had no idea you could get that in wallpaper - SOOOOO good to know now!

pollydove said...

I had NO idea that even existed ... it looks fabulous! I do love beadboard!

astarterhouse said...

Love it!

Clair said...

I love it, it looks great! I love beadboard and I want to own some someday. I was just looking at some at Lowe's and really hate it's price tag. I'll have to look into this wall paper though. What a fantastic idea!

Iman said...

Looks great! I want to do this in our laundry room.
Be a pal and write up some tips ;)
Like how do I cut around outlets?

Ashley Poulsen said...

how did you get it to be so seamless? i tried to use the wallpaper and it looked so pieced together!