Wednesday, December 29, 2010

{i started today off with a bang...literally}

I rear ended someone this morning.

Don't worry- nobody was hurt- in fact I was hoping it didn't do any damage to my car because I was only going about 10 miles per hour. He was in front of me turning right and I was behind him stopped. Then I thought he went, so I went and well...I sort of just glided into him- I looked down for one second and bang...that was it. Sadly, when we got out to assess the damage, my car had a lovely 3x3 trailer hitch stamp (in my new cars bumper), while his big F150 was unharmed.

All was well when out of nowhere, a cop pulled up and acted on his civil duty to make sure we were okay. Part of his civil duty included giving me a ticket for following too close. Darn.

I felt like an idiot sitting in my car, trying not to cry. It was snowing/slushing like crazy and it had already been kind of an off morning. I was running late and this just added insult to injury. When I called my friend McCall to tell her what happened, the water works started flowing. In the 10 seconds it took her to answer, I could barely speak when she said hello. Finally, I blurted out, "I rear ended someone! I'm going to be late...."

Then I got to work and retold what happened and almost started crying again. My new car. Broke. (insert frowny face here)

I spent the rest of the afternoon feeling anxious. I decided to find the silver lining and thought of the good things that happened. The cop was nice. The guy I hit was very nice. We have good insurance. My car is still drivable. I can go to traffic school. And I'm okay.

Just one more thing to add to my list of resolutions for the New Year- Be more alert!

8 comments:

nichole said...

I'm so sorry! I really wish bad days didn't happen... especially bad day that involving driving! (Been there & done that.)

Kirsten Krason said...

Oh no! The snow yesterday was crazy!!

Breezy said...

I have always said SNOW is a four letter word.. that packs a punch.
I am glad you are okay.

Karlie said...

Welcome back! Remember the key is to never feel pressure to post. You post when you feel like it. We all immediately get captured by your posts anyway. I'll be back to read!Oh and you vases are nestled here in my front closet. They'll make it back home sooner or later :( sorry.

pollydove said...

Shoot! I hate when that happens! I rear ended Kevin once (same situation) and caused about $1800 worth of damage between our two cars!!!! And I always cry when I get pulled over! Sheesh!

But, way to look on the positive side! :)

alyssa said...

Oh no I am so sorry :( The couple times I was pulled over I felt just like that...I kept it together then right after I'd call someone and start bawling!!! I can't believe he gave you a ticket for that...that's so dumb!!!

Wendy said...

That always sucks! Sorry.

cathycan said...

Traffic school is almost as cool as the school of rock!!