Monday, November 29, 2010

{Happy Post-Thanksgiving!}

Well, Thanksgiving is over and I can hang my stretchy pants up until next year. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Ours was very relaxing and very filling (emotionally and physically), yet oh so tasty!

We spent this year with my family (how many of you have a rotation with your in-laws?) and made it sort of a stay-cation. We spent Wednesday and Thursday night at my parents house. I felt kind of bad because we kicked my little brother out of his room because my aunt and uncle from California were staying in my old room. Little did we know that Ty's room is the hottest room in the house. Literally. It's right above the furnace and every night we'd put his huge art history book on top of the vent and open the window! His incredibly comfy bed made up for it though and I slept like a baby the two nights we were there!

I had good intentions to get up early and help cook the morning of Thanksgiving, but because Ty's bed is made from heavenly clouds that enthrall you in a slumber so deep you could hibernate for the winter, I ended up sleeping in and man, did it feel good! Once we woke up, we ran over to Andrew's parents house (which is only about 3 miles from my parents house) and wished them a Happy Thanksgiving. This time of year, I always wish I lived in a huge mansion with a giant kitchen. That way I could invite both sides of our families to a huge Thanksgiving feast and host hundreds of our family members from the Crawford and Cann side. Someday, right? It was fun visiting with my in-laws for a little bit before they headed down south. Once we got back, most of the food had been prepared so we sat down and started a puzzle before the feast began. It's funny because I never used to like puzzles. I was easily frustrated by how slowly they came together, but for some reason, I couldn't get enough of them this year!
Mom and Grandma carving the bird
chilling on the couch before the feast

Friday morning I had good intentions to get up at 4am to buy Andrew a present I saw in a door buster ad, but when my alarm went off in the wee hours of the morning, I thought, "Yeah right..." and turned off my alarm before quickly falling back asleep. Since we only brought one car up, I had to drive Andrew to work and after I dropped him off, I set out on my Black Friday shopping spree. I was determined to get it all done and after hours of shopping, I had just about everyone on my list crossed off!

Oh, and remember the store I was going to go to at 4am and freeze my butt off while standing in line just so I could get the gift that would make my husband yell hallelujah Christmas morning and tell me I'm the best wife in the world? Well, I ended up getting there around 9am. I walked in and asked the guy if they had anymore of the super gift or if they were all out. He looked at me like and said, "Uh, yeah..." and then pointed to stacks and stacks of them. I was so glad I didn't get up before the crack of dawn for it! Not only did I get to sleep, but I'll still get to hear the joyous cheer Christmas morning.

It was a great Thanksgiving and this year, more than years before, I was very aware of the things I'm grateful for. Especially for this little girl and being able to spend so much time with her!
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

pollydove said...

I am totally jealous of your comfy bed and toasty room and getting to sleep in!!! You could put all your Thanksgiving leftovers in my room instead of the fridge and they would be fine! :(

Yay for your lucky find even after the morning rush! I lost out on the one thing I would have gotten on sale but it wasn't worth the 4:00 am morning either! And it has been WAY too cold to include lines and black skies in any shopping spree .... some people really are nutso!

BECKY said...

she's getting big! i think she's got some cann in her for sure!

lifeinredshoes said...

Sounds wonderful:)
Brie had the same shopping experience, no problem getting what she wanted mid-morning...go figure?
And that baby, with your Mother....tears:)

Mr Lonely said...

nice blog... have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...

Breezy said...

ohh that picture of the baby of precious!
I went out on Black Friday and got most of my shopping done! It wasn't bad at all.

~gail

The Mrs. said...

Your niece totally looks like your brother Barry, you sure its Steve's? ha ha

Laura said...

Glad you had a great T-day, Shan. Your neice is super cute. Awwww...
So, I feel like such a bad friend... we were in town that week, and I never touched base with you. I have felt awful ever since. It was a pretty quick trip, but that's no excuse. I would have loved to see you. It's been way too long. Sniff, sniff. :( Will you ever forgive me?