Wednesday, November 17, 2010

{DIY roman shade}

For the longest time, laundry rooms around the world got the shaft. I mean, let's be honest- 9 times out of 10 it was the room that was shunned. It was the room that got passed when giving a home tour. Door shut, with clothes piled high, hiding in a dark abyss...

However, thanks to the blogging world, the laundry room is the new living room. And who can blame us? If you're like me, you're spending every other day (I'm sure once we have kids it'll be every day) in the laundry room, sorting, folding, and changing loads. Why not make it less of an eye sore, right?

Well, for me, my laundry room is more of a laundry closet. A pair of accordion doors are all that hide my washer and dryer and some left over door less cupboards. While I am thankful for the extra storage it wasn't the prettiest space in my house, so I decided to do something about it!

I realized that my little laundry closet wasn't deep enough to put doors on the cupboards, so I decided I'd make a roman shade to cover the mess. I found the fabric I wanted at Ikea & followed these directions to make the shade. I also found really helpful directions here.

I bought the skinny piece of wood at home depot for $0.75! Can't beat that! I also bought a roman shade kit from Joann's which included the roman shade tube tape, rings, L brackets, cording, eye screws, etc.

(hey, it kinda makes a cute rug too! don't you think?)

I decided not to line my shade because it was too much work and nobody was going to see it from the other side. Also, the fabric was thick enough that you couldn't see through it, so I skipped that step. After I hemmed the sides & bottom, I used fabric glue to adhere my tube tape (see, even if you can't sew, you can do this!) and let it sit until it was dry (about 30 minutes).

Then I inserted my 1/4" dowels into the tube tape (I had to use 2 dowels because my shade was so wide) & hand sewed the rings onto the tape.

Then I stapled the shade to the wood, screwed in the eye screws, & threaded it with the cording. When that was done, I attached my L brackets & hung it up!

And this is the finished product...cute, yet functional! I love how it looks now and I can still easily access my things.

13 comments:

Emily said...

I absolutely love the stripes! I made Roman shades for our french doors in the living room a few months ago using a similar method... so easy to do and makes such an impact. Your laundry nook looks so fun.

Wendy said...

Great! You did a fantastic job!

Gordita said...

What a great way to spruce up a laundry space! I love this more than I can express in words. Thanks for sharing.

C Sherman Photo said...

I've been trying to find an affordable but fun (that makes a big impact) way to spruce up our big kitchen window over our sink. THIS is it! Thanks!

pollydove said...

That is adorable! I am so unmotivated to make anything though (that happens as you age, I'm afraid), but I do need a spruce up for my pathetically sad laundry room ... you have reminded me to look for cupboards on ksl.com.!

You're awesome!

lifeinredshoes said...

APPLAUSE!!!!!
BRAVO!!!!!!

BECKY said...

nice work!

Allisha said...

I love it Shannon! You are very talented and have a great eye for things. I would like to see a picture with it pulled up!! :)

Breezy said...

Very nice!! love it

Samual said...

Its fantastic Blog.Our experienced, insured and boston remodeling contractors will give you peace of mind by taking on any maintenance and repair job with Guaranteed Satisfaction upon completion.

Kitchen-Dreams said...

no need to close the doors anymore!

Laura said...

What a fabulous tutorial! I LOVE roman shades... this is the perfect way to get exactly what you want! You are genious, my friend!

Barry Cann said...

Shan, you are so talented! I love these kinds of things. :)