Wednesday, November 3, 2010

{bathroom mirror frame}

I got an email today from a reader asking how I did the frame around my bathroom mirror & I told her I'd post about it today! So here it is, 11:00 at night, but I'm sticking to my promise! And can you believe it? Three posts in a week! I'm on a roll!

This is how our bathroom looked when we bought the house. Pretty typical for the year the house was built & not too bad, but not the greatest either. I didn't want to invest too much into the bathroom, so we made small, inexpensive, & easy changes.
It started with the cabinets, then the faucets, then the mirror, lighting, & finally the paint color. I've added a new shower curtain and some cute accessories, but it's always a work in progress!

Now, onto framing the mirror...
We bought the trim at Home Depot & used Liquid Nail to glue it to the mirror.

Sounds easy enough, right? It was!

I measured how long I wanted my trim (I over lapped the mirror about a 1/2" on all the sides), and cut 45 degree angles with my miter saw. If you don't have a miter saw, you can easily cut the trim with a miter box & hand saw.

After I cut each piece, I spread a thick bead of liquid nail on my molding, then stuck it to the mirror, pressed it on good and hard, and then used painters tape to hold it in place until it dried (about 24 hours). I used wood putty to fill in any gaps in the wood.
(Which there were a lot of gaps...I learned the hard way to measure twice and cut once. Be ye not so dumb and learn from my mistakes!)

Then I painted the trim with a nice glossy black paint, and that was that!

And you know what? I'll be damned if it hasn't held up like a champ! I'm pretty sure if the next home owners don't like it, they'll have to rip down the whole mirror to get it off. That's how good it holds!

An orchid & a few accessories later, here is the new bathroom!

11 comments:

Kelly said...

Yay! It is so good to see some regular posts. I'd almost given up checking your blog.

I love your writing style and even just general posts about hurting your tailbone (ouch, poor thing) are good to read after a day at work.

Welcome back :)

Pound The Pavement said...

Looks amazing!...but nothing new there. In other news, I LOVE that perfume! Good choice Miss Shannon. ;)

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

Love the way this turned out & I plan on attempting it myself . . . NEXT year!

Warmly, Michelle

Monica @ MonicaWantsIt.com said...

Gah! I love you for posting this. I want to do this to my bathroom, and I also thought about liquid nails...but didn't have the balls to try it myself. Now I can safely do it thanks to you! Smooches! It looks fab by the way. :-)

Ashley Poulsen said...

Thanks for posting! My weekend is SO full now! Bathroom/kitchen projects HERE I COME!

Laura said...

Love that project. I'll have to do that with my own bathroom mirrors! And I love that you just used liquid nails. Your bathroom looks fabulous!

thehistoryofus said...

I love this project thanks for posting. I am hoping to do the same thing with my bathroom. How was your mirror attached to the wall? Mine is up using clips so I'm not sure how to simply frame with those?

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post! I've been looking for something to spruce up our boring bathroom, and this is just the trick! Thanks for the inspiration!

lifeinredshoes said...

The mirror turned out great! I have, let's see.....4 that need this:(
And they need to outlaw those ugly bar light fixtures!!!!

The Sheppards said...

Love it!!! I'm totally going to do this to our mirrors... I love looking at your blog at the fun things you do :)

spiceylg said...

Thanx for the info. I guess I didn't tape well enough because mine was slipping around and needed to recruit the hubs to help. We even tacked in a few brad nails to help. He did it because I was too afraid to miss and shatter the mirror! Went a bit further and added glass tiles, put up with double stick tape. Love the outcome. Wish I could post pics.