Monday, October 11, 2010

{you may call me Auntie Shannon}

Today I became an Aunt.

9 months ago, we were at my parents house for Sunday dinner. After dinner we sat around chatting when suddenly my brother told us he wanted our opinion on something that he and Ashlyn had been arguing about. It was over a pair of shoes Steve bought, and he ran out to his car. He came back inside with big Sketchers box and asked us to see what we thought of them. As he opened the box, I didn't see anything, but upon closer inspection I saw a tiny pair of baby shoes. It took my brain a minute to register what they were telling us. They were pregnant.
"Oh wow..." was all I could say as I was suddenly flooded with emotion. I grinned and said in my most happy voice, "That's so great you guys! How exciting!" I sat at the dining room table for 5 more minutes and then discreetly went upstairs and sat on the edge of the bathtub. I was happy for them, but my mind still couldn't grasp what was happening. My brother is having a baby. My little brother. I closed the bathroom door and turned on the fan. Wait, I'm the older one...I got married first...I always thought I'd get pregnant first... and then I lost it. I buried my head in the soft white terry cloth hanging in front of me and cried. I was happy, but I also felt confused, jealous, sad, and excited all at the same time. I wanted a baby. I wanted to be pregnant.

It took me awhile to accept that my little brother was in fact going to be a dad, but eventually I grew more and more excited and I really was genuinely happy for them. Pretty soon, I had a reason to go into baby stores. I bought little shirts and jamies for their baby and my excitement grew.

And then today at 4:00 in the afternoon, she was born. When my brother called me I could hear her screaming in the background. She had quite a set of lungs- just like I did when I was born. "Adda girl," I thought, "We already have something in common."

As I drove to the hospital, my emotions again got the best of me and I started crying, but this time, there were no feelings of jealousy or sadness...just excitement, anticipation, and pure joy.

From here on out, I'll be Auntie Shannon to her. Her funny, funky, auntie who will spoil her rotten.

Alexa Rae
10-11-10
6lb 13oz 19"

25 comments:

paula said...

Congratulations! I'll never forget the first time I held and looked at my first born nephew. I can totally understand and relate to your emotions. It's overwhelming. Your time will come....I hope sooner rather than later.

Molly said...

What a precious girl. Congrats on being an auntie~!

Sarah said...

Congrats on becoming an auntie. She's a cutie pie!

lifeinredshoes said...

Ahhh Shannie, I cried just reading this:(
I have been in your shoes before sweetie, and let me say this, you are so smart to allow your feelings to come out. Holding it all in just causes more problems in the long run.
How lucky/blessed is this little girl to come into this wonderful family that will love and cherish not only her, but ALL the grandies to come:)

P.S. The photos are fabulous!

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful baby girl.

Warmly, Michelle

Brooke Hill said...

Congrats!!! So a small world, I grew up with Ashlyn, your sister in law, and have become friends with your little brother. She is one cute little baby, that new niece of yours

Karlie said...

You make me cry. I love you. You'll be a wonderful Aunt and even a better mom some day. Enjoy your niece. :)hugs.

pollydove said...

I think you WILL spoil her rotten won't you???? Great pictures Shannon! Have fun with her - newborns are the best, but it doesn't last so gobble that up while you can! :)

cathycan said...

I'm crying again!! She is so cute!

The Brady Bunch said...

Congratulations! Being a aunt is so fun!

Tara said...

congrats shannon girl!

Lindsey said...

Hey Shannon,

I'm totally reading this through my own particular experience (so maybe I'm off track), but I have been there. Being an aunt is awesome, and when your time comes, being a mom is pretty cool too. I have been there and will be there again too.

Congratulations on having such a sweet little girl in the family. She will be so loved.

Wendy said...

She's lovely. I can totally relate to your feelings. People would sometimes NOT invite me to a baby shower because they thought I'd feel bad. I was like you, it sounds like. Not jealous or "why me?" but just a little sad for myself every now and then, but another's pregnancy didn't affect me the way other's assumed it would. It took 8 1/2 yrs. but now my two babies (adopted) have filled my life. (Except my 40 yr. old body feels too old to be chasing after my high energy 3 yr. old!)

The J J Glenn Family said...

Congrats Gorgeous Auntie! I wish I had an Aunt as cool as you. I think being an Auntie is so much fun. Cami is the best Auntie to my girls hands down. Have fun spoiling and doing only Auntie things with this beautiful little girl

Ashley Poulsen said...

Your sister in law is number one on my list of "women who look like they are going to a club, but they just had a baby" She looks great! Congrats on the new addition! She's adorable!

Aubrey said...

Congratulations! Isn't being an Auntie just the BEST THING EVER! :)

Laura said...

Oh! Congrats Shan. I love the pics. And your story. They make me all teary... Love ya girl! :) And miss you. Enjoy your little niece. Girls' clothes are SO fun to buy! :)

Heather said...

COngrats Shan , what a wonderful blessing. She is so cute! Love the bow!!!

Brittany said...

how is it that your sister in law looks so good after just giving birth?!?! haha congrats though! she looks adorable!

brendleca said...

Shannon. It was so much fun to see at the shop today. And congratulations Auntie. I saw pics of the little darling on facebook.

Cynnamama's Cafe said...

Congratulations, Auntie Shannon! What a story about the shoes and you... so sweet!

alyssa said...

Being at aunt is the best thing ever! My niece has the same middle name :) I felt the same was as you when my sister was pregnant, i was jealous that she was younger and not married and having a baby and I wasn't. When she was born I totally didn't care anymore, I love that little girl!

sarah marie p said...

Congrats Auntie Shannon! Your niece is so adorable!

I went through the same sort of emotions last spring when I found out my younger sister was pregnant ... but, just like you, when my nephew was born a few days before Christmas I couldn't be happier.

Chelsea said...

I can relate well with those feelings. Thanks for sharing them and your story. She is a beautiful baby and even though I don't really know you I am excited for you someday to have your turn.

.jimaie.marie. said...

oh goodness, she is just precious!! Congrats to you Auntie,I can only imagine the fun the two of you will have together! :D