Thursday, October 7, 2010

{my cupcakes are stale...}

Yesterday I was on the phone with my mom when suddenly in the middle of the conversation she said, "Oh by the way, your cupcakes are stale."
"Huh?"
"Your blog, it needs a new post!"
Stale is a term my moms bff uses when things are getting old and since it's been a month since my last post, I'd say my cupcakes are darn near moldy!

So here I am, trying to catch up. How are all of you doing out there? Good? Good.

So anyway, here's a bit of what I've been up to lately...

Months ago, McCall asked me if I would reupholster a little chair for her. It was hers when she was a kid, and now she wanted to give it to her daughter Libby. We picked an adorable fabric and I got to work. I had finally finished just in time for Libby's 1st Birthday party and I was going to bring it for her....

But as I carried it down the stairs, disaster struck. I must have hit it just right on the corner of the hand railing, because as I turned the corner on my staircase, I heard a pop and then rip!
"NOOOO!" It sucked, and then I cried.

So now, I am in the process of fixing the side, which means I have to redo a lot of it. I hate dumb mistakes like that, don't you? McCall, I promise you'll have your chair soon!

Here's another random story. Today was an especially stressful day at work, followed by frustrating news regarding a new car we recently bought. As I left work, I noticed a particularly rough looking man leaning into the back seat of the car next to me. His shirt was riding up a little, and while I didn't see a butt crack (thank goodness), the 3 inch space between his pants and shirt showed a bare, hairy back. He looked like he belonged on a Harley Davidson motorcycle rather than rummaging around the sedan he was driving. His leather vest, worn jeans, long ponytail and steel-toed boots screamed Hell's Angel, but as I took a closer look I realized I had misjudged him. Sitting in the back seat, was a sweet little blonde toddler, maybe 3 years old. She must have just come from the dance studio next door, judging by her pink tights and white leotard. She was moving her feet and singing a tune as she bounced her princess toy along the rugged mans head while he hooked her into her car seat. He was patient as she used his head as a mountain for her princess to climb, never swatting her hand away in frustration or telling her to knock it off. He was gentle and playful pretending to be a monster, ready to bite the princess if it got too close to his mouth. The little girl squealed with delight at the thought of this, slowly reaching the princess closer to the monsters mouth and then pulling it back before his jaws could get her, and then laughed and laughed. Then the toy was on his head again. All of this happened within about 20 seconds, but it was enough to get me choked up. The contrast between the two of them couldn't have been greater, but after all the stress of the day, seeing such tender moment was a breath of fresh air.

7 comments:

Laura said...

I've missed you! :)
And I LOVE the chair. So frustrating about the rip. Darn!
And I love that story. Makes me happy when I see moments like that, too. Also makes me realize I should take more time for my own kids, take a deep breath at times, and be a fun mom. Great post!

Desiree said...

How much do you charge to reupholster little chairs.I really really want to reupholster a little recliner for my kids...
I might have already asked you this and then I forgot to see if you commented back with the answer. So if you get a chance-will you send me a message on Facebook and let me know if you would have time to do it, and if you did, how much it would cost?

McCall said...

oooh. the poor chair! and poor you. what a bummer. it is super cute and we're waiting patiently. ;)

cathycan said...

I love it when my preconceived notions are proven wrong! A nice reminder to never judge by appearances. Don't mean to preach...
That chair is soo cute, hope you can fix it without too much trouble.

amelia said...

THAT CHAIR IS DARLING!!!
you have done an AMAZING job girl!
want it :)

The Atkinson Family Blog said...

You know, a lot of people are too busy with their lives that they never notice a moment like the one you saw. Thank you for taking the time on your very stressful and hard day to notice that and share it with us! Your the best Shan!

Wendy said...

awww, nice post :)
Great job on the upholstery, btw.