Tuesday, August 24, 2010

{new light}

I ordered a new light for my bathroom a few weeks ago and I was so excited when I saw it on my porch as I got home from work last Thursday! I found it on Home Depots website and when I saw it was 50% off, I grabbed my wallet! (I learned awhile ago that when something is a great deal, you don't hesitate, because more often than not, it will be gone when you finally decide to buy it!)

So on Saturday morning I set out to install it. I looked up "how to install a bathroom light" online and felt pretty good about it. After turning off all of the breakers in the house (hey, you can never be too careful) I started taking my old light down. While my old light let off a bright glow, it reminded me too much of Hollywood makeup lights...not my style.
Before
I had just unscrewed the light bulbs, pulled the faceplate off, and was about to undo the wiring when the Handyman called me from work. When I told him I was replacing the light in the bathroom, he asked me to wait until he got home. I assured him that I had things covered, and the power in the entire house was off, but I guess I wasn't too convincing. He knew I could do it, but wanted to make sure someone was there, just in case.
So a few hours later, he got home and we worked on it together. I will admit, I was a little nervous about the wiring, but seriously, it was a piece of cake!
After touching up the paint, it was done and I LOVE how it turned out!
P.S. Notice the frame around the window and the new paint color in the bathroom? I'll post about that soon!

17 comments:

Wendy said...

It looks awesome! You did a fantastic job. This is one of those projects I want to tackle but must wait for my 3 yr. old to not be such a "helper".

Chateau 809 said...

Great job!! I have a light fixture just like your old one in my guest bathroom that I want to change desperately. I've been thinking of trying to change it myself but I'm too scared- haha! Would you consider posting a step by step tutorial on how you went about changing it? Love how the new fixture looks:)

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

YOur new light fixture is just gorgeous. I love it. I really don't like those Hollywood lights either. The new one is just perfect. Hugs, Marty

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

It is such a great fixture - super classy and kind of sexy. I love it!

Ms. Bright said...

Where've you been?! Missed you lately.

Love that light, huge improvement! And the frame around the mirror...looks great!

The Marquardt Family said...

LOVE the frame and the light! CUTE CUTE CUTE! When we buy SOMEDAY, hehe you better come live with me for 6 months and help ME!

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

Love it! And I'm excited to hear about the rest. Good job getting the light fixture for a bargain too!

Warmly, Michelle

paula said...

Love it! What a woman you are...."I'll just check it out online and do it myself."

alyssa said...

Your bathroom looks a gazillion times better with the pain and new light...it's the small things for sure! Love it!

lifeinredshoes said...

TaDa!!!! Well look at you, all Ready Kilowatt:)

Ashley and Brian said...

Looks great. You did a nice job, I really like the black cabinets as well!

CASABrasi said...

Love the light! You did a great job!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty said...

Wow is that a different space? It is amazing how much difference a new light fixture and paint can make!

cathycan said...

If I put up a new light will my cabinets also be magically painted and a darling frame appear around my mirror!? Does that feature only come with Home Depot lights!?
I love it!

pollydove said...

I have had a new light fixture sitting in my upstairs hallway for about 6 months now ... waiting to replace the Hollywood Light one in my kids bathroom. I am TOOOOO afraid of the wiring!

Your bathroom looks fabulous! (Oh and I need to paint their vanity too ... ugh ... it is never ending.)

MrsH said...

Great makeover. Our bathroom has the same set up, and ugly mirror. I can't wait for you post on how to frame it up!

Aubrey said...

Fabulous job!! I'm going to share this post with my little sis and see if she can do the same thing in her bathroom! :)