Sunday, August 29, 2010

{kitchen makeover}

When we moved into our house a little over a year ago, one of the things that I loved about the house were the cabinets. I loved that they went all the way to the ceiling (no wasted space) & the beautiful knotty alder!

While I loved the cabinets, I wasn't too thrilled about the counter tops, but I figured since I was a manufacturers rep for counter tops & cabinets, I'd use my employee discount and get a crazy good deal on some new ones...but then I got laid off. Augh!

(Lesson learned: If you have connections to get a great deal, get it while you can!)

So, a few nights ago I took some "before" pictures of my kitchen. I'm not doing any big renovations, but I wanted to share what I have done, what I plan on doing, and I'd love your input!

Okay, so here's my li'l breakfast nook. We took out the fluorescent light in the center of our kitchen and had an electrician install recessed lights. It looks 100 times better & they were so affordable! (If you want the name of my electrician, send me an email!)

Now I want to paint & add trim around the windows. How do you feel about adding curtains? Or maybe replace the blinds with roman shades? Thoughts?

This is the other side of my kitchen. Here's what I'm thinking...
- replace counter tops (not a fan of the wood front laminate)
-add a tile back splash
-replace the blah light over the sink with a pretty pendant light

And in the other corner, we have the secretary desk. I have big plans to paint this white and add a fun wallpaper to the inside that will contrast with my milk glass collection.

So here's what I am thinking....
I don't want to paint my cabinets. Mainly because I like the color of the wood and also because I just don't have time to sand, prime, and paint my whole kitchen! I want to paint the walls silver sage, from Restoration Hardware, and add a pendant over the sink like the one below. If money weren't an option, I'd install quartz counter-tops or even marble (this is where I kick myself for not taking advantage of past employee discounts), but since I'm on a budget, I'm looking at other options.

I've laid out two options that I'm thinking of. (To differentiate between the two options, cover the tile & laminate sample on the right and then the left.)

I love the clean, crisp white look in the option on the right, but I also love the contrast of the green tile back splash with the blue/gray wall on the left. (The textured sample is the countertop option.)

So, what do you think?

13 comments:

Ms. Bright said...

OK. I think in the long run you'll be happier with the Silver Sage and White tile/quartz theme. I think that pendant will really pull your milk glass and overall it will have a very clean and classic look. The green tile is very fun and a bit retro, but I think you might tire of being locked into a color. You can change the wall color if you eventually are over it.
I can't wait to see what you do with the secretary!!!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love love love that pendant light - looking for one similar for when we get around to our kitchen!

Chelsea said...

At first I was definitely going to say to go with the one on the left, the green backsplash. But the more I looked at it, I think the one on the right would be the less obvious answer--but be really serene/peaceful and completely beautiful. I'm sure it'll look great however you do it!

Wendy said...

I redid my cute little Connecticut kitchen on a tiny budget. I used a similar Restoration Hardware school house light (that was probably my splurge!) I painted the walls tart apple green and did a pretty, soft gray tile backsplash. I didn't have money for granite or marble so I found a really nice gray laminate in a matte finish. I got so many compliments. Maybe more than my now white kitchen with honed black granite c-tops! Funny how a tiny budget doesn't matter in the end sometimes! You are creative enough to pull off a stunner!

Katie said...

I just love the color options on the right! And maybe just valence curtains over the windows, so you wouldn't have to remove your blinds?

Lisa K said...

I think for things that are more permanent, like tile, go for something more classic that way if you want to change things up down the road you can. So go with the white subway tiles.

Also, I think you should go for Roman shades on the windows. And for sure a pendant light over the sink!!

The Brady Bunch said...

I think it's going to be AMAZING like all the other things that your magic hands touch!

pollydove said...

I LOVE that pendant light fixture and it will really make such a difference over your sink!

As far as the tile goes (and I am so crazy in love with subway tile), as my mother always say, "Think of resale." The more subtle tones would probably appeal to the masses. Both would look great though ... just sayin'.

Allisha said...

I LOVE Silversage. So funny because I was thinking of that EXACT color when I was looking at your "before" walls. I would for sure go with the green tile. Where you don't have much room to tile I would go all around that window too. Take off the kitchen window molding tile around it. In the nook I wouldn't make it look smaller with draperies, for sure Roman Shades. Just my opinion. Ha ha Can't wait to see the after!

lifeinredshoes said...

Silver Sage has been my choice for the past 10 years and 2 houses. It makes a perfect backdrop for everything:)
And I would LOVE marble.

Jen said...

I love your idea!! it will turn out fabulous - like every thing you do. And silver sage is a great choice! We have that color in our bedroom and i wish i could do my whole house in it.

Amanda said...

I love the green

Elise said...

I love the look and feel of this homey kitchen. I came across your post this afternoon while browsing interior design blogs and your take on interior d├ęcor is exquisite. Are there window treatments that would go well with this kind of kitchen? It is true that you must dress your windows appropriately to bring out their true beauty. Thank you for writing and as a special thanks to you and your readers, I would like to offer a 20% off coupon using this code upon checkout: BLG20.