Monday, July 5, 2010

{4th of July Weekend}

I hope you all had a great 4th of July Weekend! Mine was fantastic- full of food, family, and fun!
Friday night we invited some friends over to do our own little firework show.
We played around with sparklers, and wrote fun things like our names and USA....

Then on Saturday, we headed over to my parents house for a bbq with the fam. I love my parents house & I thought it looked especially cute with the flags up! Don't you just love a porch with a swoopy flag?

Before we ate dinner, the boys altered legal fireworks into funner, more powerful ones & lit a lot of things on fire. I swear, the 4th of July is a man's favorite holiday (after Thanksgiving of course) because they eat a lot of food and get to blow things up.

Every 4th of July, my parents buy a ton of fireworks and put on their own little show in the front yard. It never disappoints, as there is always some malfunction with a firework blasting towards the spectating crowd, causing us to run, screaming in terror and then laugh so hard we might pee our pants, or watching what is supposed to be the grand daddy of fireworks fizzle & spark pitifully as the lamest firework of the night, aka, the dud.

For example, this year, a renegade ground bloom firework flew off the top of the ladder (because watching store bought fireworks is much more fun 7 feet up in the air) and went straight up my leg, scaring the ba-jee-zee's out of me and causing me to flail my arms and legs in the air before I kicked it away. I was fine (okay, it stung a little and left a tiny burn mark), but it made for a fun, on the edge of your seat kind of night! Good times!

Finally on Sunday we headed up to Lewiston & stayed the night with Andrew's grandma. The good folks up there put on a great little parade & it's not the 4th of July unless you get up at the crack of dawn for the local Fireman Breakfast! As you can see, we were all so excited to be up that early. The sun had literally just come up...



This was also the occasion I brought my treat to! I know you're all just dying to know what treat I made for the 4th of July picnic, since the comments with ideas were just pouring in! ;)

In deciding what festive treat I would make, I went to one of my favorite recipe blogs- The Girl Who Ate Everything. Christy, the author of TGWAE, is a blogger who is not only hilarious and refreshingly real, but she is an amazing cook! I've tried many of her recipes and she has yet to disappoint! A while back, she had posted this recipe for Whoopie Pies, so I ended up going with that. (I know some of you are nodding your head in approval thinking, "Oh yes, whoopie pies are a delicious, all American treat!" While others are scrunching your faces in confusion thinking, "What the H is a whoopie pie?") Instead of making them one color, I decided to add red food coloring to half of the batter and blue coloring to the other half. That way, I'd have red, white, and blue whoopie pies! Whoopie!!! Here's how they turned out...
They're more of a red, white and grayish/green blue color, but you get the idea right? And boy, were they tasty!
Happy 4th of July!!!

10 comments:

steph anne said...

I love the thrill of doing fireworks from when I used to live in Seattle and I miss playing with sparklers!! (I live in Arizona & we can't do them here). Glad you had a great weekend!

alyssa said...

First off, that sparkler picture is REALLY awesome! I love it. I also have fond memories of fireworks at my parent's house, as my dad LOVES fireworks. Minus the past few years of going up to the mountains, he always had tons of fireworks going all night light. We'd always tape like 10 different things together (always smart) and things most definitely ended up shooting in the wrong directions.

Wonder Woman said...

Amen on boys and there dumb obsession with things that blow up. Did you use a paste or liquid blue food coloring?

Dignified Rubbish said...

Yummmmm...those look really good! You are so right about the 4th being a man's favorite holiday!

Keep up the good work!
Karen

cathycan said...

I think this was the longest Fourth of July Holiday ever! lots of fun! I think there must be special blue coloring for cakes, ask Brie. Nevertheless, the whoopies were delicious!

McCall said...

I LOVE that USA pic!

PS Is that your $6 sweater?? Awesome!

McCall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lifeinredshoes said...

You Cann's know how to PARTAY!

pollydove said...

Sounds like you had an awesome 4th too! I LOVE this holiday ... and I can't even remember the last time I "did" sparklers! McCall told me about your word writing with them - so cute! That picture is fabulous!

Your parents house does look very festive. I have said for YEARS that I want one of those "swoopy flags" too! (I think they are called a bunting ... a bunting???) But have yet to get one - sigh. I didn't even stick little flags in my flower pots like I always do - oh, that would be because I don't have any flower pots yet, what's up with that?

amelia said...

LOVE that USA pic! looks like you had a really great holiday!