Tuesday, July 27, 2010

{24th of July Parade}

The Pioneer Day Parade in Utah is a pretty big deal. Growing up, I would see the parade broadcast live on TV, but in all my years I have never actually been to the parade...and it's only like, 20 miles from my house.

When I told my friend McCall this and she was appalled. She was like, "Seriously Shan!? You've never been to the Pioneer Day parade?! It's like Christmas in July for Jared's family! We go every year!" She then told me how every year they book a room at the Little America and stay the night, swimming and hanging out, and the next morning, they get up early to get a good spot at the parade, and then afterwords they go eat at Hires with the whole family (aunts, uncles, cousins and all) and go back to the hotel to swim some more.

A few days later, I told Andrew everything McCall had told me. "Doesn't that sound fun?" I asked, "I mean, their whole family comes! People come from out of town and everything!"

Their fun get together reminded me of trips my family would take to Gunnison, Colorado. We'd go out there, usually around the 4th of July and have so much fun with the whole family! After reminiscing awhile longer, I decided that we'd invite ourselves and join our friends at the parade. (Okay, we didn't really invite ourselves...well, not quite...they invited us, but I was so excited about it, that it felt like we encouraged them to invite us from our enthusiasm. HA!)

We got up early and drove downtown where we met them for breakfast at the Little America Cafe. Then we walked over to the parade. I was in awe of how many people came! It was packed! Thankfully, their family got their really early and snagged a spot in the shade!

McCall and Libby watching the parade in the shade. :)

I'm pretty sure the Tarzan float was my favorite (insert flirty whistle here). I told McCall we needed to book a trip down to Tuacahn and support the arts...if you know what I mean (nudge nudge, wink wink).

5 comments:

cathycan said...

that looks like fun! I love little America,and I love their breakfast buffet! We should do tht!

DOEHLER DAYS said...

Looks like an awesome parade! I don't run into many people who know about little ol Gunnison, Colorado...but that's where I went to college and lived for 4 years, and visit every homecoming. :)

Bailey

lifeinredshoes said...

This sounds like loads of fun, but only if McCall's maiden name isn't Clark. Because if it is I will make it my year long duty to fing their spot and beat them to it!{inside joke}

As you well know I am married to the worlds biggest party pooper, so perhaps I should just DRAG the fam there myself:)

pollydove said...

Yeah ... the Linares' family is ALL ABOUT that parade! I was supposed to go but sadly had to miss. Fun that you guys got to go though and see that cutest little Libby!!!! (Is that picture the best or what????) :)

pollydove said...

I was sad that I didn't get to go this year. So glad you two were able to join the "excitement ... and yes, Jared gets VERY excited about this event.

(Looks like Libby does too!!! What a cute picture.)