Tuesday, June 15, 2010

{green thumb}

I think I get my green thumb from my mom. Her garden is so lush and beautiful and I've worked hard to get mine where it is today.It's been so fun for me to get my hands dirty planting new flowers, growing vegetables, & even weeding! (P.S. After my tomato disaster last year, I decided to try a topsy turvey- you know the upside down planter? So far, it's worked wonders! I'll post about that later...) I love our house, but our yard is so teensy. I've tried to make it more fun and interesting with different plants & textures, and I thought it would be fun to make a planter that would sit in the garden to add more interest. I started with this funky stool that I got at a thrift store. The top looked like it came from a Muppet, but after taking it off I saw it's true potential.
Then I cut some chicken wire so it dropped down slightly and wrapped the raw edges around the top so it would hold my moss basket.
After adding some pretty flowers, I stuck it in my garden! Because my cats love hanging outside & pooping chilling in the garden, I planted some cat nip in a terra cotta pot and put it under my planter. Okay, lets be honest- I put the planter in the garden to cover the spot the cats used as their huge outdoor literbox...gross...hopefully, they'll chew on this plant and leave the rest alone!I also planted some of my favorite herbs in a cute window box that I bought years ago at a yard sale. I love looking out my kitchen window and seeing these pretty plants! And the best is that I use them all the time! My favorite is the basil that I put on margarita pizza...mmm....it's the delish!For all you Utahans that are looking for a great, drought resistant plant that loves sun & is awesome, try Lambs Ear! As you can see from the name, the leaves are really soft and it's a beautiful, hardy plant! Last year I bought this plant and it was TINY- it's now gotten so big! The best part is that it loves tons of sun & can go forever without water. Thanks for visiting my garden!

24 comments:

Karlie said...

Ooh, love it all! Fun what you can do with a small space. Hope all is well :)

Kerry said...

I really like what you've done there. I've got a small courtyard garden too and it's amazing what you can achieve. Love your planter and your plant selection. Your cat's pretty cute too!

Emily said...

I totally love that planter you created from a stool--so awesome! My brain so doesn't work that way. Perhaps you could use your green thumb to spruce up my backyard!

Erica said...

Your garden looks fantastic!! Even a small yard is better than no yard :) Love the flower stool!

steph anne said...

I love your garden!! I've never done gardening before and now after seeing your pictures, I think I want to but I'm afraid I'll suck at it haha.

Rachel @ La Bella Bungalow said...

It's beautiful! I have a black thumb, so I have to say I'm jealous of your green one :)

~Rachel~

Anna Liesemeyer said...

what beautiful garden accents!
I will have to get one of these!!

Wendy said...

I love a tiny yard with lots of green. It looks beautiful!

paula said...

Love what you've done with the space. It looks so inviting....I just want to lounge back there and have a cold beverage while reading a good book.

BECKY said...

Beautiful indeed. Watch out... the lamb's ear will your worst enemy soon enough... it reproduces like CRAZY!

Jen said...

Loving the planter idea! Your yard really does look great.

Chris said...

What a beautiful outdoor space! I could sit out there for hours! And don't get me started on the kitty--SO cute!

Breezy said...

The planter you made is fantastic! Love it.

Sunny @ "Sunny Side Up" said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sunny @ "Sunny Side Up" said...

I'm interested to know how your Topsy Turvy tomato plant is doing! It has taken mine MONTHS to grow ONE tomato. Ugh. If this is any indication of my gardening skills, this may be the only tomato I grow! Any suggestions???

Ashley and Brian said...

I think that might be the happiest kitty in the world! Looks like he loves your garden, maybe even more than you do. We started a garden this year and are loving the expereience as well. I just love the little planter that you made!

lifeinredshoes said...

Holy whip! You HAVE been busy! And yes, you did inherit your Moms green thumb:)

lifeinredshoes said...

...and her pretty face, and her sense of humor, great style.....

Chris and Logan said...

Your yard is so pretty, I love it!
Hope you are having a great summer so far!
Logan

cathycan said...

You're back!!
You've done such a good job and worked so hard, even staining the fence!!
the cats make such darling yard decorations, hehe. If I were a cat, I would want to poop there too, so don't be too hard on them haha

Jenny @ Anything Pretty said...

What a beautiful green space! You have done a great job!

natasha | sohobutterfly said...

Lamb's ear, eh? I will have to check it out! Your garden is lovely. I am a super huge fan of the midnight blue lobelia I spy in the last pic too!!

Gavin and Laura Hansen Family said...

You are seriously amazing, Shan. I wish I had a green thumb... I am learning and it's coming, but I still kill (too) many plants. I'm determined! You've motivated me! I LOVE the plant stand. SO cute.

.jimaie.marie. said...

oh it's so cute and pretty! This makes me want our own backyard soso bad, I can't wait to own our own home one day so I too can plant a garden :)