Tuesday, June 22, 2010

{estate sales & creepy warehouses}

Last Saturday my friend Brie and I got up at the crack of dawn and set out on a hunt for some good finds. I had mapped out a few hot spots and with cash in hand, we made our way to our first stop. While I didn't find anything there that I just had to have, I was tempted to pick up this table. After a quick once over, I decided it was a little too worn and decided to pass.

Our next stop didn't disappoint. I knew, the minute I saw this red chair that there would be something at this sale that I would love! (And yes, I did consider buying the chair & reupholstering it, but every time I looked at it I heard the Red Queen yelling "Off with her head!")
I did however, think that this vintage folding table & chairs were so pretty! I loved the blue and the pretty floral pattern on the top! Perfect for a garden picnic!
For years I had wanted a vintage kitchen scale & when I asked the lady if she had one, she invited me in her house to see one that she had in her kitchen! Lucky for me it was for sale (she just hadn't had time to bring it out yet)! I also left with some pretty blue milk of magnesium bottles & a vintage table cloth.
After the success from our last stop, we decided to just drive through the neighborhoods downtown and stop at yard sales we saw along the way. Some were full of junk, while others were full of yard sale awesomeness. One in particular was selling these chairs for a STEAL! Seriously, I had to hide my giddiness so the guy didn't think my offer was too low! I walked away with everything (vintage kitchen scale, table cloth, chairs, & a few other fun things) for LESS than $50! Yeah baby! I have BIG plans for these chairs!Our very last stop was at an old antique store downtown that was closing. Supposedly everything was 50-80% off, but everything was still WAY too expensive! Still, it was fun looking around...and a little creepy!
Brie and I were practically the only ones in the whole warehouse, and at one point, I had wandered away from where she was into this secluded, old area of the warehouse (probably in an area I shouldn't have been) and I got so creeped out! I was by myself and I swear I felt a sudden cold rush & the rocking chair next to me started rocking out of nowhere! Okay, so the chair didn't really move, but I stared at it, waiting for it to move! I mean honestly, with so many old things around, I was sure there were ghosts in there staying with their old belongings...*shudder*
Yes, that is a real rhinoceros. Stuffed, but real. Cuh-ree-pee!
I bet some guy that looked like the hunter from Jumanji killed him on a safari decades ago.

13 comments:

natasha | sohobutterfly said...

Aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome finds! I cannot wait to see what you do with those chairs. I love your before and afters - you inspire me!!

Wendy said...

So so many times I have been creeped out at an antiques store! I would have freaked out seeing that rhino! You did find great stuff, though!

paula said...

Umm....pretty sure that rhino is THE WEIRDEST thing I've ever seen at an antique store. What the?

Fun, fun....I love estate sales. I've only been to one but I still have the jewelry (costume) that I got there and I get compliments each time I wear it. We say this all the time but GIRL...WE NEED TO SHOP TOGETHER!

pollydove said...

I love that scale and those chairs! Great finds Shannon!

That antique store reminds me of the one McCall and I ventured out to a couple of Thanksgivings ago ... we were on the couch watching the parade and saw an ad saying they were going out of business (blow out sales on everything) so off we went! Maybe that is just the ploy to get you in. But either way, it was fun and not too creepy - and I did spend way too much money!

alyssa said...

Wow I am super jealous of your yard sale finds! I never find ANYTHING good at them, maybe the ones around here aren't all fancy-like :( BOO!

Ps, love the Junamji reference :)

{B} said...

I concur. It was super creepy. And he ripped me off! The estate sale was marvelous! Let's do it again sometime. :)

Gavin and Laura Hansen Family said...

Fun finds! This totally makes me want to go to garage sales!

Beth at southernfriedliving said...

I loved the red chair!!!
Why was the rhino sitting up like that??? Weird.

lifeinredshoes said...

OK, I am so glad that you got a pic of the rhino, it was hard to believe!

And, I guess your Mom and I are going to have to get up really early to beat our dear daughters to the goods:)

cathycan said...

n v s!!!
can't wait to see the chairs!

Barry Cann said...

The picture with the chairs on the wall scares the hell out of me. I know the lighting adds to it, but dang... it's all scary.

Karen said...

Oh my lord that stuffed rhino is hilarious!!! You did better than me this weekend with your finds. There is always next week...

.jimaie.marie. said...

OMG THAT RHINO!! hahaha!! WTH! That's nuts!
You got such amazing and fabulous finds!! I would've wanted to pee my pants with ecitement over those steals LOL! What a fun day!