Monday, May 17, 2010

{movie houses}

Today I stayed at home, sick with a nasty cold.

It sucked.

Honestly, I would have rather been at work if it meant I would have felt just a little bit better. Instead, I spent all day lying on the couch, with bits of kleenex stuffed up my nose, watching movies and napping.

I don't know about you, but there are certain movies I own that I really only watch when I'm sick. I guess they're my sick day movies. My favorites are "Pride and Prejudice", "Chocolat", & "You've Got Mail".

A few months ago, my friend McCall introduced me to a fabulous website called Hooked on Houses. Since then, I've become obsessed with it! Today while I was sick, I browsed the site & found some really fun pictures of interiors from the houses of movies I love.

The first was "Something's Gotta Give". Can you believe the interior wasn't actually from someones house? It was just a set! I loved the design! Very Hampton-esq!

And then of course, "You've Got Mail". I love her apartment! Look at the molding around the windows! So pretty! And of course, The Shop Around the Corner, which is my dream shop! I'd love to own a quaint, little children's book store!

11 comments:

cathycan said...

LOOOOVE Nancy Meyers movies!
think back to
Father of the Bride- Fabulous!
It's Complicated- Deelicious
the HOLIDAY- Gorgeous
I gotta get on that site!
Remember when we saw the Father o.t.Bride house in San Marino?

sara said...

I rewatch movies again and again just to look at the houses!

I absolutely love the houses from "The Holiday" and "The Family Stone".

I love reading your blog

Natalie said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one enthralled with the "Something's Gotta Give" house!

Let it be known... I WILL have a Summer house like that. ;)

Wendy said...

I have been obsessed with these "sets" for years! Glad to see I'm not alone. I lived in the Hamptons for years and saw many of these beautiful homes inside and out. I long to live there again someday!

Camilla said...

I can't wait to check out the site!I love watching You've Got Mail just for any new glimpses of her apartment. And that book store would be heaven too! I love, love the kitchen in Something's Gotta Give. Thanks for sharing!

Mandy said...

Oh You've Got Mail is my favorite movie of all time - just makes me feel all happy and cozy. :) I love her apartment and the shop. Hope you feel better soon!

Ashley and Brian said...

My site is through blogspot too but I can't get the hyperlinks to work, any advice?

p.s. I just love the fabrics that you put up from your old job. would have gone into debt working there!

The Vreelands said...

That is a fun thing to do. Hope you are feeling better.

pollydove said...

I think that the Something's Gotta Give house might be my all time favorite! AMAZING set designers, huh?

Your mom's comment is funny ... I have driven by that house a bunch of times too! (I grew up in San Marino - such a beautiful little town.)

Sick days are no fun unless it's a pretend sick day ... to sit on the couch, have a movie marathon and eat junk all day but while you're feeling good! :)

Kat said...

I LOVE the design and scenery in both of those. That's not even a real house? (the interior) Crazy!

Handmade by Kiki said...

Just came across your blog and thought I would share something. The Shop Around the Corner is actually a cheese shop in NYC. We were so interested to find this out since the name of the cheese shop is Schaper Cheese (Schaper is my last name). I made my husband go there while we were in NYC a couple of years ago....and You've Got Mail is one of my all time favorite movies. My husband could care less, but I thought it was pretty neat to visit the "Shop Around the Corner"!