Tuesday, May 4, 2010

{guest blogger- 6th Street Design School}

http://6thstreetdesignschool.blogspot.com/
I didn’t always know I wanted to be an interior designer. I remember the thought briefly crossed my mind when I was in high school but then someone told me I would have to measure stuff and that meant math. I hate math. I mean really hate it. So that was the last thought I gave to the idea of being an interior designer. I tried a lot of other majors in college. These included psychology, sociology and recreational therapy. Nothing ever fit. After I got married I spent hours looking at Pottery Barn’s website trying to recreate the expensive look in my own home. After a few years my interest in Interior Design grew into something much more. It grew into a passion While living in Arizona I decided to pursue my passion and get a college degree in interior design.

Slowly but surely my horizons expanded and I realized that the world of Interior Design spanned far past just Pottery Barn catalogs. There were other styles and other designers. There was never a specific designer that inspired me. I was actually far more inspired by design bloggers. I have learned so much through reading blogs.

Over a year ago a friend handed me a flyer for Alice Lane Home Collection. I was smitten. Jessica Bennett has inspired me more than any other designer I’ve ever met because she is real. Unlike many famous designers her words of advice weren’t just words on a page. Conversations with her were face-to-face and I soaked in everything she told me. She is so talented and I learned more working at Alice Lane than I learned in most of my classes. She always told me to make my own home my laboratory. Trying new things in my home and experimenting with different styles has really given me so much confidence. It is one thing to put a design on paper and another thing to see it come to life.

I love Interior Design. I am constantly learning which is why I call my blog 6th Street Design School. Never stop learning, growing and following my dreams. That is my goal.

10 comments:

Fran said...

Hi Kirsten: Me again. Your story is inspirational. It's very real and I appreciate that. Thanks again for sharing!

Rachel @ La Bella Bungalow said...

Love your story Kirsten. And now I have two new lovely things to read. The Alice Lane blog and the Design Gal blog. Thanks!

~Rachel~

Chelsea and Manuel said...

Where did you find that fabric for those pillows, it is seriously GORGEOUS!!!!! I'm excited to check out your blog- Thanks for sharing!

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

Ahh, I love a story with a happy ending and pretty pictures!

Kimberly Merritt said...

I'd say you've taken what you've learned and done a nice job applying those design principles to your own home. (And you never do stop learning. That's the fun part!)

cathycan said...

love your style! the bird prints in the gilded frames are interesting...calendar pages, prints,...?

Dayka (Life +Style) said...

loved this!

Haven and Home said...

Very cool. I love hearing how others got into the business!

Michelle (Three Men and a Lady) said...

It's so fun to hear how people often "fall" in to their passions. I'm going to have to check Jessica Bennett out!

Brittany Simmons said...

I follow 6th street and am glad to now have found your blog! Definitely adding you to my list and hope you check me out too :) loveofinteriors.blogspot.com