Monday, April 5, 2010

{bathroom projects & a new job}

holy cow...has a week really passed since I last posted?!

Let me just say, I've been so, so busy. Good busy!

I lost my job on Monday, and by Thursday afternoon, I was offered a new job. I started last Tuesday and the rest is history!

I really do feel blessed. You were all right though. Things have worked out for the best!

I love my new job! I'm learning so much, and it's so fun being in an office again with so many different women! We laugh every day and while there can be a little drama at times (hey, we're with each other for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week) we do have fun! (Remember what it was like to have roommates in college? Yeah, it's kind of like that!)

I won't lie though, I do miss the flexibility of being a rep! The first day at my new job was a little bit hard. Going from one extreme (driving all over to different clients every day by myself as a rep) to another (staying in an office all day with a bunch of women) was pretty hard, but I've adjusted. :)

ANYWAY, while I was unemployed I decided to redecorate my bathroom. I had been wanting to paint my cabinets for some time, but with the white cultured marble sink & counter top I knew white would look kind of funny, so I decided on black.

Here is the before picture....


I knew I had to sand and prime the cabinets and my original weapon of choice was my handy dandy power sander, but after about 30 seconds of dust, I decided to use liquid sander.
I was a little worried that it wouldn't work as well as a real piece of sand paper, but let me tell you, this thing worked wonders!

After using the liquid sander, I primed my cabinets with Zinzer 1-2-3 no sand primer. Normally, I wouldn't have worried about the primer, but I knew these cabinets get used every day and I didn't want to worry about the paint chipping!

Oh! Before I forget, I wanted let you know that if you're going to paint your cabinets, use a GOOD quality brush! Purdey brand is the best! Seriously, invest in a GOOD brush and you'll be whistling dixie through out the rest of your project!

After a few coats of black paint & adding some pretty hardware, the look is complete!

I loved how my new black cabinets looked! The only thing that I didn't love were these...

Yeeaah...not such a fan of the crystal knob faucet.

After a trip to home depot, I picked out my new faucets.

I decided on a chrome, two handle faucet with ceramic handles.

I really didn't think it would be too hard to install them, especially after watching this video (p.s. do any of you think the guy in the video sounds kind of like Christopher Walken?), but I was wrong, so so wrong! It was a pain in my butt!

This project would have been easy as pie, if my sinks were normal, but of course, they weren't. After diving head first into the project, I realized that I needed to replace my water supply lines. Not a huge deal. Then I realized that the plastic nuts that came with the faucet were too big & there wasn't enough room between the sink & the bolt. So, finally, after about 4 trips to the hardware store & only hitting my head once (so hard in fact, I thought I split my head open) I got them installed. Ta-da!

All in all, I love the transformation that a little paint & new hardware has made. I still want to replace the lights above the mirror, find a new shower curtain, & paint, but all that will have to wait for the weekend!

Oh, and the total cost so far for this project has only been about $75! Can't beat that!
P.S. I'll post this weekend in detail about how to change a faucet. That way, all of you can learn from my mistakes! haha!
Hope you all have a fantastic week!

29 comments:

Michele Brooks said...

Congratulations on the new job! That is so awesome that you were able to find one so quickly..with this economy.

Gorgeous makeover on those cabinets! Your bathroom looks like it's straight out of a magazine now.

House of Smith's said...

Ooooo! Everything looks SO good!
I'm totally impressed! WOW!
Nice work girl!
And I'm WAY stoked that you got a new job! Good for you. I'm glad you didn't have to deal with unemployment for too long... it SUUUUCKS! lol.

Shelley

OH Ps. Guess what I built tonight with my dad???
A headboard bench! eek!
I know I said we should do it together, but I HAD to get it done for a "parade of homes, blog style" party at the end of this month.

It is turning out good! A bit bigger than I thought... but good!

Tai and Joe said...

Looks so good!! Good job. I'm so happy about your job.

Eri said...

wow that looks so cool! nice work, especially as you were unemployed for a very short time! Glad you new job is going well x

Emily said...

I absolutely LOVE black cabinets! In fact, we painted some oak bathroom cabinets a couple houses ago and it was fabulous. I didn't sand but I did prime and paint with some high-quality paint (and a Prudy brush--love those!). Even with all the use those cabinets felt (it the bathroom shared by our oldest two girls) they had barely a chip in them when we finally moved out. Whew!

Glad the new job is going well--YAY!

Tara said...

I love black cabinets!!!! You always do such an amazing job!

Karlie said...

Love love how it turned out!! My kitchen turned out equally as beautiful with the white! It was a fun project. I can't believe you did the faucet by yourself. I tried for a few seconds and stopped after I dropped a priceless screw down an endless crack and couldn't retrieve it. Good for you!

jessica said...

I love the black! That is a huge difference! And the new fixtures! Beautiful!

BlueGrassandGreenTomatoes said...

The cabinets look fantastic... And the faucet... You are so brave! It looks wonderful as well, but I would have been terrified to tackle that project.

I can't wait for your tutorial! :)

Brit said...

Super cute, this turned out great...it looks GRAND :)

Frugal Home Designs said...

Looks fantastic! That is the same faucet I just put in my bathroom--so pretty. I am hosting a party this week-My Favorite DIY. Come party if you like.

BECKY said...

Wow, great job. Way to spend your three days off!

Rich and Natalie said...

Thanks for posting this! We're moving to MN and just bought a house that is in need of the exact same facelift. We're not moving till June, but I'm getting so excited. I'm sure I'll have a million painting questions for you)!

--Natalie

Justin & Katt said...

Wow, the finished project looks crazy good! I'm so impressed -- nothing intimidates me more than home improvement stuff.

Scott and Lindsey said...

Wow, you go girl! I should hire you to come and do some repairs around here! It looks fantastic and I love your attitude.

Clair said...

I love it! I so badly want to do this to all of my cabinets (paint, i mean)! I just need to get Damon to agree and I'm good to go. :)

alyssa said...

YAY for black cabinets, they look SO great and a million times better! I can't wait to paint/redo our bathroom cabinets! :) I think our current bathroom cabinets and sink/faucet look exactly like yours did!

lifeinredshoes said...

You are my hero, a girl with skills to pay the bills!
We used that liquid sandpaper when we painted our kitchen cabinets, love it.
And, if you want to, you can make your own shower curtain, I did. All custom like:)
The tools and grommets are on sale 1/2 price this week at JoAnn's.

cathycan said...

oooh, can't wait to see the pics of the finished product! let's go to "the 2$ Fabric Store" !

McCall said...

i loooove the new bathroom! i could NEVER do all that. good job. can't wait to see it in person.

jackie fo said...

Cabinets and faucet looks gorgeous! I have used the liquid sander before, and it works wonders! Congrats on your new job :)

Katie said...

WOW, what a change!! That black looks awesome!

Lucia said...

amazing transformation! I love how the cabinets look!! I have the same faucet in my bathroom! :)

BellaLovesPink said...

Your bathroom looks just like mine, right down to the horrid faucets. I love what you did! Can't wait to see what else you do!

Debi said...

Wow what an amazing transformation. It looks like a totally different room. Congratulations on your new job too!

Brandon and Michelle Day said...

First, congrats on the new job!! And second, your bathroom looks awesome!

Iman said...

Looks great!! and Congratulations on the new job!

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

I was impressed by the painted cabinets, but I'm blown over that you switched out the faucet yourself! Excellent!

Pamela said...

I want a faucet like that for our guest bathroom!