Monday, March 1, 2010

{weekend thrifting}

Last weekend was mahvelous! I met up with my friend Shelley (who I hadn't seen in forever) and we hit up a few of our favorite thrift stores!

Usually when I go thrifting, I like to go alone, because let's be honest, I don't want to compete with a friend for a great find! (Oh no she di-ent!)

On the other hand, I have no problem with racing a stranger for dibs on a funky chandelier. True story for another day.

I was excited to go shopping with Shelly though, because she has a great eye. Sometimes when I go thrifting, I'll see something that I like, but I'm not sure how to use it or where to put it, and she always has great ideas!

Our first stop was Real Deals. If you have never been, you're missing out. Look up the nearest location right now. You'll thank me later. If you aren't blessed enough to live near one, start your own franchise! Your city and local thrifty divas will thank you!


After Real Deals, we headed over to the nearest DI, which is where we both saw this baby...

Remember how I said I like to go thrifting alone? This is why.


It was love at first sight for both of us. I could see the wheels turning in Shelley's head as she inspected the headboard, imagining where she would put it, and how cute it would look in her house.


Unfortunately, I was doing the same thing.


Technically her hand was on it first, so I waited for her to say the words "I'll take it!" and find the nearest worker to put a SOLD tag on it. We both drooled over it for awhile, took some pictures, and contemplated about what we could do with it and where we would put it, but ultimately we ended up leaving it there. Neither of us had a good place for it (it was a full size), but as I walked away I said a silent prayer that she (the headboard, not Shelley) would end up in a good home.


Our next stop was Home Again in Sugar House.

I love this store! It's one of those places you have to browse around for awhile, and just take it all in. There are so many things in there that get the creative juices in me flowing (I secretly took a few pictures & jotted down a few notes for future projects!)

After hitting up a few other stores, and after Shelley introduced me to a fantastic Thai restaurant which had the most delicious curry I've ever had, our last stop was to another DI.

Remember my despair when I realized the headboard we found at the first DI was too big for my house? Well, karma was good to us, and we found another lovely, twin size headboard!! Not just the headboard though...oh no, this had a matching footboard!

And the best part?

There were TWO of them! No fighting over it. No slipping the other person an extra $20 so they'd let you have it for yourself. Nothing. And with no price tags on them, I asked if they'd take $15 a set, which they happily obliged.

We both walked away happy. And they fit in my car....barely.

our loot (except for the suitcase- that was from a recent business trip)

I'm so excited to share my ideas for the headboard! But that will have to wait for another post!

P.S. A reader recently spotted me at a local thrift store, but I didn't know it until she left a comment on here saying she saw me! I love to meet new friends, so if you ever spot me, don't be shy! Say hi!

(Unless of course I'm racing you for a funky chandelier...in that case, may the best...or should I say fastest gal win!)

Just kidding...please do say hi! :)


9 comments:

Kristen said...

Will you two PLEASE call me next time to go along with you? I pinkie swear that I won't want the same thing you see first (even if I do I'll pretend I don't!) Hey, I'll even drive and I have a mini-van to fit MORE stuff! Ha! :)

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Sounds like you two had a great day. I love the treasures that I can see. Can't wait to see what you do with them all. Hugs, Marty

Lorie said...

I might have to kiss you!! I just moved to Texas and have been looking for some fun places to thrift. Well there is a Real Deal (which I had never heard of before) 25 miles from my house.

I am so going this weekend. If I love it as much as I think I am going to I will be forever greatful!

Lorie said...

It would help if I could spell grateful!

McCall said...

silly girl...who goes thrifting with a suitcase in their trunk??

cathycan said...

Don't let dad see the suitcase!
you look dang cute posing with the headboard!

Al, Wendy, Max, and Lil said...

I think you should take me on your next shopping trip. I have a minivan with lots of room for "finds" and I love Thai food. Match made in heaven :)

amelia said...

FUN!!! i love shelley!!! i've been meaning to check out home again & real deals and haven't gotten around to it! thanks for sharing your discoveries!

Stephanie said...

Love this! This past week I had about 4 or 5 friends separately say "I want to come thrift store shopping with you!" and I always secretly don't want to take anyone because I really don't want compete with someone else for a good find... Worried the friendships wouldn't survive! Ha! Anyhoo, I just took a few snapshots of my recent antiquing/thrift shop finds before I listed them in my Etsy shop. Check out my blog to see the great loot!