Thursday, March 11, 2010

{thrifty kitchen makeover}

Okay, so as you all know, I'm a sucker for a good deal & a DIY project!

When I saw that my friend Alyssa had refinished her kitchen cabinets, I had to share her project with the rest of you, not just because they turned out so great, but also because her cabinets are laminate!

A lot of times, our starter homes have cheaper cabinets, and while most of us would love to rip 'em out and replace them, the cost of doing so just doesn't make it possible! A lot of you have emailed me and asked how to paint laminate, so when I saw Alyssa's kitchen, I had to share!

Before:

After:

(love the cat hiding spot!)


First, Alyssa did a lot of research before she tackled her project! She found an article from this website extremely helpful, as well as this one, for painting laminate cabinets!

She also gave a few tips:

  1. As your a removing your doors/drawers, number them. Especially if you are using the same hardware, if you mix and match, after you are done you may find that things aren't fitting how they should. I just ripped piece of tape and wrote the numbers on them.
  2. Make sure you have a BIG work area. We spread out everything in our garage over paint tarps.
  3. Don't be too anxious. Most everything I read said to wait 1-2 weeks (sometimes more!) for the paint to "cure". If you put everything back together too soon, because the paint can still be semi sticky, your doors/drawers could possibly stick to the cabinet base and ruin your pain job!
  4. Hardware. Don't think that everything you purchase will work for you right out of the package. We had to buy longer screws for our handles than what came with them. We also purchased new door hinges, and tried about 4 different ones before we got one that worked correctly (hint: buy several different types to try, THEN purchase the necessary amount. oops). I think I had to go to the hardware store about 6 different times. Ugh.
Do you have a project you'd like to feature on my site? If so, email me at shans_design@yahoo.com

12 comments:

Leah@Storybook Ranch said...

wow, the counters look amazing in contrast to the black cabinets~ I love it!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

This looks awesome. I love the black cabinets. She did a wonderful job. Hugs, Marty

Deann Sturgiss said...

oh i love love love this!!! such a good idea!! I love the black!!! did she happen to tell you about how much this reno cost?

Emily said...

Wow! I love the black cabinets! We moved into a 30-year-old home with these sort of fake dark walnut cabinets in a very small kitchen. The first thing we did was repaint them a beautiful sage green. It's amazing what a few cans of paint can do for a kitchen!

Frugal Home Designs said...

What a great transformation! Tell her she did a fantastic job.

Eri said...

whoa that transformation is amazing! Black looks so luxury :)

{B} said...

I'm such a fan of painting and not a fan of laminate, so once I get my own crib i'm going to def. look into this. :)

Nancy ~ Inkcicles said...

So amazing!!!! What a transformation!!!! I love it!!!

:-)

The Sartori's said...

all right Shannon. I want a calendar like this
http://www.marthastewart.com/article/make-custom-color-chalkboard-paint
but I don't want to paint it right on the wall. Can I do it on just a piece of wood? Should I do it on sheet metal so it can have magnets on it too? Or would it be easier to buy a large chalk board and paint the squares on it?

Zoe said...

i have been trying to talk my friend into painting her kitchen cabinets black - i am forwarding this post to her. love it!

Kelly said...

Bahahahahahaha i LOVE the cat!

freckledesigns said...

Looks awesome!! Now that's a project!! Tip for paint in upper corner of kitchen... paintable caulk. Then cut in... or use the ceiling trimmer- perfect for any amateur or unsteady hand. So much easier and gives a clean line! The cat is a perfect addition ;)