Tuesday, March 16, 2010

{succulent favors}

I loved making these little succulent favors and they were sooo easy! Seriously, kids could put these together! (Okay, a kid might need some help, but really, this is something anyone can do!)

Here's what you'll need...
-variety of succulents
-small container to replant the succulents (I used 3" terra cotta pots)
-pea gravel or small rocks
-well draining soil


First, I went to Ikea to get my succulents. They have a great variety and are sold in 4" pots for $2.99 or something, which is cheap, considering it cost the same for a 2" pot at Home Depot!

Before I started planting, I white washed my terra cotta pots. I mixed a little bit of white craft paint with some water and painted the pots! I brushed in different directions to get the look I wanted and waited for them to dry! Easy peasy!

Next I started repotting...
The great thing about succulents is that they can be divided easily.
I wanted a variety of plants in each container, so I divided up 3 different plants at a time.
It was as easy as pulling the plant out of the plastic container and pulling them apart (gently, of course, as the stems are very delicate!), and then repotting them in the small, terracotta containers!
Just put a little bit of peat gravel at the bottom of the pot (for good drainage), add a little bit of soil, and then pack your plants in!
Each 4" pot of Ikea succulents filled about 4-5 of the 3" terra cotta containers.
Oh, and I bought my potting soil at the dollar store!
No, I'm not kidding! It's amazing what you can find there!
I really didn't have to use much of that soil though, because I was able to use a lot of the extra soil from the Ikea pots!

After I planted, I spritzed a them with water, to help the roots take hold in the new soil.

After I finished potting all of them, I tied a little raffia around the top, and used Photoshop to create a little card with care instructions!

12 comments:

jackie fo said...

those are so cute! Like the pots whitewashed too... :)

Jenny @ Anything Pretty said...

What a cute idea! I bet they were such a hit!

BECKY said...

They're the cutest favors I've ever seen.

Mrs. Limestone said...

What a great favor. I know I'd love to take one of those home with me.

Megan said...

thank you for sharing these! I love them so much! Now I just need to plan a party...

lifeinredshoes said...

So cute, so smart, so thoughtful.

P.S. I love your floors.

Eri said...

love it, they are so cute!!

Mandy said...

Such a cute idea! We are going to IKEA tomorrow and I might have to pick up one of those. I think they may be the only plants I could keep alive. :)

Sarah said...

Love these. Succulents are great...I have them in pots all over my backyard.

alyssa said...

These are SO adorable! I love them, thank you for sharing! :)

Clair said...

I love this idea! I love that you painted them and that you mixed the paint with water. So smart!

Barry Cann said...

Succulents. Man, that makes me want to eat them. Fry them up with a little butter or something, ya know?