Friday, March 5, 2010

{caller #13}

Work was crazy hectic today. It was busier than usual and it seemed that every customer was indecisive. When lunch time arrived I busted out of there before anyone could ask me another question about what hardware, cabinets, or counter-tops.

I was going to meet my mom and aunt downtown for lunch at Gourmandise (which if you have never been, you must go- they have the most scrumptious french pastries you will ever find, outside of France), but on my way there, I realized that I was cutting time too short, and I had to cancel.

So, instead of dining on a smoked turkey frisco panini, I settled for a greek salad and drove to a nearby park to eat. As I finished my salad, I realized the park was right behind the offices of a local radio station, where I just happened to win a prize a few weeks earlier.

Call me Lady Luck, but for some reason, I've been pretty dang lucky when calling into radio stations.

It all started when I was 9. I called into Radio Disney and won tickets to the circus.

After that I was hooked.

Speed dial became my best friend and the thrill of hearing "You're caller 13!" never got old. I've won tickets to concerts, haunted houses, cd's, movies, movie premieres, gift certificates, etc. One time, I even called in to a radio station to have a dream expert tell me what my reoccurring dream meant, only to have my boss at the time (who happened to be listening to the same radio station) recognize my voice (even though I had used an alias and told them my name was Jamie), and heard me say that I hated my job... live on the radio, (which of course, he asked about the minute I sat down in my office) thus giving me the last nudge I needed to quit and find a new job, which I did. (That, my friends, is a story for another day...maybe). Although that time I didn't really win anything monetary, the realization of what I needed to do (i.e. quit) was priceless!

Then a few months ago, I called a local news radio station to see if they knew why traffic was at a complete stop. I dialed and the phone rang, and before I could even ask why I-15 was totally backed up the woman on the other end of the phone answered and said, "Hi! You're the winner! What's your name?" Stunned and frantically thinking that I dialed the wrong number, I answered with "Uh...this is Shannon..." and began thinking, "Oh crap...what if they ask for answer to some special question?", but luckily for me, the woman on the other end just said, "Congratulations! You can pick up your package anytime next week!"

Package? I was so caught up in the accidental win, that I didn't dare ask what I had one. I was in suspense all weekend, thinking of what my winning "package" entailed! Movie passes? Maybe a two night stay at a local inn? Ooooh! Or better yet, a vacation package?!

My mind was crazy with anticipation, and Monday afternoon I drove to the station to claim my prize.

I approached the receptionist with confidence, telling her my name and that I was there to pick up my package. She left for a minute to retrieve it, but came back with nothing. She looked every where, called different departments and stations, but still she couldn't find it. Then she asked me what I had won, and I couldn't tell her, because I didn't know. I felt like she was looking at me thinking, "Yeah right lady! You think you can just walk in here and say you've won a prize and expect us to give it to you when you don't even know what it is?!" I felt dumb, but I left her my email address and she said she'd send out a few emails to see if she could track my prize down, and I left sorely disappointed.

A few days later, I got an email stating that they found my prize and that I could pick it up at my earliest convenience. Victory! I scrolled down to see what I had won and held my breath. I...had... won...a package of Bag Balm products....

I let out a huge sigh of disappointment.


"Whoop-dee-freakin-do!
Where was my vacation? Where was my weekend getaway? And what the crap is Bag Balm?!"

Disappointed, I didn't even go back to claim my prize. I had been spoiled by prizes past, and the balm just wasn't good enough for me.

After that, winning prizes on the radio just didn't seem that thrilling anymore. Maybe I had won too many, and the urge to dial just didn't come like it used to, or maybe it was because I wasn't winning anymore. Calls that were once answered "you're the winner!" where now answered with a quick "Sorry! Try again!", and soon I didn't even bother calling. Maybe karma was trying to teach me a lesson after I dissed my last prize.

I almost forgot about the thrill of winning, until a few weeks ago. I was driving home from work, getting my groove on to a particularly great play list of music. The DJ was playing all of my favorite songs, back to back, allowing me to have a private dance party in my car. Grateful, I dialed up the radio station. It rang and the DJ answered, probably thinking I wanted to request a song, but instead I thanked him for playing such a great set and that after a hard day at work, it was nice to have some fun booty shakin' music to bounce to! (Since really, that is all I do when I "dance" in my car...that and bob my head back and fourth.) I guess I flattered the DJ because instead of just saying thank you, he said, "You know what? I'm gonna give you something! Let's see...how about a tanning pass and a movie?"

I was thrilled! Karma was smiling upon me once again! I hadn't even called to win anything, but my compliment literally paid off!

Maybe my good luck is back, but to be honest, I haven't really tested it since. I'm saving that for Vegas. Okay, not really....

...I did however, pick up my tanning pass and movie prize today after lunch....just in case.

5 comments:

cathycan said...

Love the little retro phone girl! We missed you at lunch, how was the "peach". It looked to pretty to eat!

Al, Wendy, Max, and Lil said...

You ARE lucky!

McCall said...

i always try to win from the radio and only ONCE has it ever paid off. but, it was a good one. i won tickets to kanye and rihanna. but, they picked it up off of the air and i wanted to be on the air. rude. :(

i really do LOVE your dream zone story!!

Kirsten Sue said...

I never win anything. You are so lucky!

Karlie said...

Now this is what I like to read! Your baaaaaaack! xoxo