Tuesday, January 19, 2010

{the sofa}

Andrew and I have been on a hunt for a sofa for a few months now. When we first got married, we bought a sofa and love-seat from a classified ad. They were upholstered in a lovely cotton floral print that was worn down to the cotton batting. The print was so lovely in fact, that the minute I saw them, I whispered to Andrew, "The 90's called...they want their sofas back!" The fabric didn't appeal to me, but I liked the camel back shape, and the woman selling them threw in a few red, corduroy slipcovers to hide the wear and tear, so we bought them for $200. A good deal for a newly wed couple who had no furniture, I thought!

When we moved into our new house, I was over the red sofa set, and with the town home being as narrow as it is, the sofas didn't really mesh well with the space. So, we sold them. After 2 years they have served their purpose!

Now sofa-less, I was on the hunt for new seating. I knew what kind of sofa I wanted for our new space. Something light (not white, but not too dark), something potterybarn-esq, and something within our budget. After a spontaneous visit to Sofamart (yes, that's the real name of the store! I learned after this never to trust any place that ends in 'mart'), I came home with their Spencer sofa. It was perfect. It had all the qualities I wanted in a sofa and more, and it was only $300! Cha-ching!

Six months later, my perfect, cheap sofa looks exactly that...cheap. The cushions are flat, it is terribly uncomfortable, and it is wearing hardcore (never buy a 100% cotton sofa)!

So, we decided to start shopping for new seating. After searching high and low and visiting every furniture store out there, we decided on a sectional from Bassett. (They've having a fabulous sale right now, by the way!) This time, we're investing a bit more into our furniture selection, because I think it is just that...an investment! This will be the seating we'll have for the next 10 years or so and I want it to last! I wasn't sure if a sectional was going to fit well in the space, so using my mad photoshop skills, I took two pictures of our current sofa (the one that is wearing poorly), and edited the pictures to see how a sectional might look in our space...

Here are the results....
Not too bad, eh? If you ignore the headless cat and the fact that the sofa looks like it's floating on the right side, it really looks great!

Our new sectional will arrive in a few weeks, and when it does I'll post pictures!


A quick update....
thank you,
thank you,
thank you
for your thoughts and prayers. Grandma's surgery went well, but she's back in the hospital today due to a blood clot. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers!
I can't tell you how much it means to me to know that you are all supporting me!
If I could hug each of you, I would, so consider this a big virtual HUG!

much love,
shan

13 comments:

Ms. Bright said...

I came over JUST to check for a new post about your Grandma! I'm so glad the surgery went well, but will continue prayers!!

And I think your new sectional will be perfect! The headless cat made me laugh!

Heather said...

LOL your so funny, Shan, (headless cat) i think it will look great! Sorry to hear about your Grandma, I will keep her in my thoughts.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

The sectional will be perfect and I love the color and style. I have been looking for a sofa too and I so agree, that is really a chore to find something that is right. I will remember your grandma in prayer. God Bless. Hugs, Marty

Chanelle said...

It looks great! And I'm still sending prayers for your grandmother. I hope you have many years to come with her. Love her every minute of it. I lost my grandfather this weekend and he is dearly missed.

Emily Hill said...

So glad the surgery went will and I hope her recovery is just as successful. We too need a new sofa for our family room and I love the one you found! The L-shape is perfect as is the color. If it weren't for four kids I may go with a nice, creamy white too, but alas, I may have to stick with dark brown!

The Smith Family said...

Really? Basset?
I need to go look, because I can't find ANYTHING that I love.
I REALLY like what you have here, as a sectional.
I guess I'm just super cheap and can't imagine spending a TON of money on a new sectional. grr...
Can't wait to see what it looks like!
Shelley

Jen said...

I'm excited to see your couch! Its always fun to have new furniture. And i'm glad your grandma's surgery went well! Hopefully she will recover quickly.

pollydove said...

Coincidentally, my parents bought us a red camel back sofa when I got married. It was on sale in a designer's showroom, so fortunately it was a good quality one and I still have it 25+ years later. (And only reupholstered once.)

We also spent $1,800 on a sofa (sale price) at Evan's Frontier Furniture Store in Orem over 15 years ago and I still have that one too. Never reupholstered.

The lesson here is, you really do pay for quality. But it sounds like you learned that lesson with your last sofa purchase, huh?

Love the photoshop sofas and multiple cats!!!! I think it will look fabulous!

Breezy said...

Great sofa...
and I am laughing at the headless cat!

The Homemaker said...

So I got that shelf/cabinet at big lots

Martha said...

Oh, you sweet dears! I do hope that things will right themselves for you and you'll have nothing more than a hangnail to worry over. My good thoughts and prayers are with you and your grammy!

Millar said...

Geez...I LOVE your floors!

Lindsey said...

I just LOVE it. And I'm pretty sure I counted THREE cats in the picture.

Just another thing to add to my list of reasons why I love your blog. (And I mean that in the creepiest way possible.)