Monday, January 25, 2010

{pelmet boxes}

Decorating my house is a nonstop project. No room is ever truly "finished". Once I think it is, I decide I want to change something, or add something to it.

Of all the rooms in my house, my bedroom was the last to be done. I know, I know, it should be the first to get done! After all, your room is your sanctuary right? (i'm in my family room way more than my bedroom, which is why i finished it first!)

So now, 8 months after moving in, I am finally getting around to decorating my bedroom! (Note: The hubs and I sleep in the same room. I say "my room" because a decorated room to him is one with a bed and a pillow, and maybe something to cover the window so people outside won't see his neckid body when he walks out of shower. And I say maybe because if we had a big tree in front of our window, the curtains, according to him, wouldn't be necessary. After all, every man knows that a big tree in front of the window is natures curtain.)

With that said, I thought I'd start with the window treatments first. After seeing Jenny's pelmet boxes, I thought I'd make some of my own!

Here's what you'll need...
- A few sheets of foam core (the size of your box will depend on how many sheets of foam core you'll need- mine is about 42" wide and 5" deep and 3 sheets did the trick)
- Enough fabric to cover your boxes (I used 2 yards of 45" fabric)
- High loft batting
- scissors
- hot glue gun & hot glue
- white duct tape
- a razor blade or exacto knife
- ruler

First, determine how large your want your pelmet box. Then draw one half of the pelmet shape on to the foam core and cut it out with your razor blade or exacto knife. Use that as your template to cut the other half out (that will mirror it). You'll also cut 2 pieces that are the same height & width to use as the sides.

Use the white duct tape to tape the pieces together. After you have it taped together, I was going to use staples to attach the fabric & batting, but I realized the staples weren't going to hold as strong as I wanted them to, so I pulled out my handy-dandy hot glue gun! Lay your fabric and batting out like below and start gluing! Just make sure your fabric is straight if it has a pattern!

I also added this little piece at the top, so I could just set it on top of the curtain rod that was already there, instead of trying to attach it with L-brackets. This method worked great!

And this is the final product...isn't it simply mahvelous? The drapes are from Ikea and are about a mile long, so I have a big of hemming to do, but after that, I'm set! I love how it turned out and it was so cheap and easy!


31 comments:

Emily Hill said...

Those are super cute! I swear your posts give me hope that I could even do a few projects around the house! :)

Kera said...

holy crap! those are super cute. i'm over here trying to figure out what to do with my windows that span the entire length of the room.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Beautiful window treatment. I love the tutorial too. Everything looks just lovely. Hugs, Marty

The Smith Family said...

Looks so great! Nice work, girl!
Shelley

Ms. Bright said...

I followed Jenny's tut also! Great job!!

Heather J said...

it is simply mahvelous. turned out great! love that fabric!

{B} said...

"After all, every man knows that a big tree in front of the window is natures curtain" LOL truer words never spoken.

jessica said...

This is SO cute! I would have no idea that I could make this kind of thing instead of buying it. Great post, as always!

BlueGrassandGreenTomatoes said...

I love it! There is nothing better than a project that only needs a pair of scissors and a hot glue gun!!!

Audra @ Filmography said...

Foam core and duct tape! Now you've gone too far missy! They look fantastic.

Al, Wendy, Max, and Lil said...

That turned out great! So creative to use something so light. I've used plywood and other materials but I love how light this would be!

BECKY said...

Wow, they look VERY classy.

Lacey said...

Shan you are so creative and I just love all the fun things you come up with.. Now I just need to get a house so I cna maybe do some of them!

Millar said...

I saw these on LGN and made a couple. Super easy and cute! I love how you did yours!

Chris and Logan said...

So cute!!! I think i will have to try this in my house.

Lacey said...

Very cute. I actually like how the drapes are gathered on floor. Looks fancy. :)

McCall said...

8 months already?? we don't get together nearly enough for living so close. though i looove your window treatments, i have to pass. i don't own ANY of those materials. not even a ruler, no kidding. i'm depressing. i guess that's the beauty of having you as my friend, because you have so much time on your hands, you can just make mine too. ;)

anyway...are we going to gold's?? how much is it?

lifeinredshoes said...

APPLAUSE!!!!!
And, I love your floors ;)

cathycan said...

oooh, mama like!!! Really, this is your mom! and trees are nature's curtain, I agree whole heartedly!

Interiorexpress said...

I love the drapes and the venetians. unobtrusive and "thick" looking.

Frugal Home Design said...

Those look great. I think I might have to give them a try. Good Job.

astarterhouse said...

Love what you did - and I love that you used foam board. I use foam board and duct tape often. I just used it instead of cork board to make idea boards for my office. Thanks for sharing this!

Jen said...

I love it! I just might have to do this - thats for the great idea!!

Erin A said...

Oh my gosh!!! Foam board and duct tape?!?! You've just been bookmarked! I am one of those women without a trusty workbench and handyman husband, so I can't pull off many of the homemade projects I see online, but this I certainly can do. My bedroom has been neglected as well, but no more! Thanks for being such a thrifty genius! :)

Frugal Home Design said...

That looks awesome. Great Job.

Amnah said...

I love how that looks. I tried making one for my nephew's room but as you said, the staples wouldn't hold. My sister ultimately decided against using it for his room. After all my hard work! (Ok well it wasn't that hard.)

My nephew's new room: http://5faithfullyyours.blogspot.com/2010/02/before-and-after.html

Gavin & Laura Hansen Family said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I never thought you could do that with foam core! COOL! Someday when I do our bedroom (yes, ours is the last room to get done too!), that would just dress up the windows so nicely!

Melinda said...

Oh I love it! THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Melinda said...

Oh I love it! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Kendra T said...

I have a question. What if you have an extra wide window and one piece of foam core isn't wide enough. Any suggestions? I'm worried there will be a sag if I mount two or three together.
thanks! Great post :)

Kendra T said...

What suggestion do you have for an extra wide window, wider than a foam core sheet? I'm worried mounting two or three together will sag.
Great post!