Friday, January 8, 2010

{Magnet Boards}


What you'll need:

• 1 sheet galvanized sheet metal (size 24x36): $16.00 @ Home Depot

• 1 yard of fabric (this is enough to cover 2 large magnet boards): Prices will vary but I paid $6.00 a yard at Home Fabrics

• 1 yard of ribbon: Prices will vary from $.50 and up. I had this ribbon on hand at my house.

• Tin Snips: Available at any hardware store or even Walmart. I got mine for about $10

• Drill

• ¼ drill bit

• Hot Glue Gun

• Scissors

• Ruler

• Quilting Needle

1. To begin, lay the sheet of metal on a flat surface and measure how large you want your board to be (the large size board I made was 24" H x 17 ¾ W, smaller board size is 17 ¾ H x 12" W)

2. Mark where you will cut and use your tin snips to cut the square out. If you are using the large sheet of galvanized metal (24x36) you can just cut it in half to make 2 large magnet boards.

3. After you have made your cuts, use a magic marker to mark where the holes will be, where the ribbon will go through. Typically the holes are spaced about 5 to 7 inches apart, centered an inch from the top of the board. Then, use a nail and hammer to poke a little hole through the metal. This makes it easier to drill through. After you've made your small hole with a nail, use your drill w/ a ¼" drill bit to drill all the way through the metal.

4. After you've made your holes, cut your fabric about 2 inches bigger than the sheet of metal. Lay the metal on top of the fabric and begin to hot glue the fabric to the metal board. Once you've glued all the way around, use a quilting needle to pull your ribbon through the holes, going from the back to the front, and making sure to leave enough slack to so that it can hang nicely. Then tie the ribbon in the front!

24 comments:

Cortlin and Janelle said...

I saw you on studio 5 today. Loved the magnet board! such a great idea. I also loved looking at all the other great ideas you have here on your blog. great tips and inspiration! thanks!

Emily Hill said...

Okay, I might even be able to pull this off! Thanks for a great tutorial!

Connie said...

Cute idea! Thanks for posting it. It will help with getting organized and make the room look cute!

Stephanie said...

This is easy enough for me to do! Yours looks so darling, great job!

Camilla said...

I love these! Such a sleek update of the framed ones...which are sooo three years ago. :) I love the idea of putting favorite recipes on too. You have the best ideas!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Very cute!

McCall said...

okay...if you scroll through your post fast, the black and white pic on the last board looks like an ultrasound picture. haha. preggers.

Chanelle said...

That's way too weird! I'm working on a post about my magnet board right now! LOL {it won't be finished until tomorrow unless my baby keeps me up all night ;)} But, yours looks great! You'll have to check out mine when I've got it posted. :)

~Debby~ said...

What a great idea today! Thanks for showing it.
But I am going to make mine with Scrapbooking Paper instead of fabric, because I want to change the pattern out every so often, mabe for every theme or Holiday. I love the idea!!! :)

Chanelle said...

Well, I'm up later then I had wanted to be, so I got it done. Come check it out! I would love your opinion, Design Gal ~ http://bit.ly/6sbx6K

mimosaandmocha said...

This is great. Thanks for sharing!

Hawleywood said...

LOVE this!! It will be making an appearance in my craft/guest room!!

amelia said...

i wanna try :)
ooh, a beautiful chunky frame would be lovely around one too!

Valerie said...

So, so cute! And totatally do-able... I am filing this at thecraftersfilebox.com.

Thanks for sharing!

P@nmyfreetime.blogspot.com said...

so nice to meet you!
wonderful blog!!!
how adorable is this project ~ i so want a magnetic board and you mad it so easy!!!!

Wishful Nals said...

what a great idea!

Heather said...

LOVE THIS!!! i am going to make a smaller one for my cubicle at work! What a great idea!

Johnnie said...

Can't wait to do this. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!

Breezy said...

now that looks like something even I could do..:)

The Mrs. said...

I found you by another blog I follow... what an awesome idea! You've got me thinking about all kinds of fabric choices! :)

Channa said...

I need one of these!!

Valerie said...

This is great. I love the look and it's still a functional magnetic board. I might even be able to do it myself. :)

Stephanie said...

Hey,

I was drawn to your blog by the title because that is exactly what my husband and I are, a desing gal and a handyman:) I just started a blog on design, that's an extension of my Etsy shop. Thanks for sharing your journey and creativity! Thanks also for your openess about your faith!

Cheers,

Stephanie

mostazaseed.blogspot.com

Michelle S. said...

Loved you on Studio 5! Thanks for the great idea! I want to do a full sheet for my hallway! Wish me luck!