Thursday, December 17, 2009

{Oh Christmas Tree}

I forgot to include my Christmas tree in my Christmas decorations post! Oops!

So, here it is, in all it's twinkle light glory!

These are a few of my favorite ornaments- the mercury glass one was a clearance sale find at Modern Display's after Christmas sale & the sparkly teal one was a dollar at Wal-Mart.

And last, the pickle ornament. It is always a fun topic of conversation. Most of the time, the conversation begins something like this, "Uh...why do you have a pickle ornament on your tree?" to which I reply, "Because I just love pickles...their salty deliciousness really gets me in the Holiday spirit!" A blank stare or awkward chuckle always follows.
The real reason I have a pickle ornaments is because my parents had one. It originates from an old German tradition. A very old Christmas eve tradition in Germany was to hide a pickle [ornament] deep in the branches of the family Christmas Tree. The parents hung the pickle last after all the other ornaments were in place. In the morning they knew the most observant child would receive an extra gift from St. Nicholas. The first adult who finds the pickle traditionally gets good luck for the whole year.
My parents pickle was much harder to find, as it is only about 2" tall and not shiny at all. We'd gaze into the tree for hours trying to find it (even though we never got an extra gift) and whoever found it, re-hid it.
My first married Christmas my mom got us our own pickle ornament to keep the tradition alive!

20 comments:

Kristina P. said...

My friend's family has the pickle tradition. I had never heard of it before!

Your tree looks awesome.

Chanelle said...

What a beautiful tree and neat tradition! My dad's family is from the Black Forest area of Germany. I wonder if they ever had that tradition, because if they did, someone didn't pass it on. I'll have to ask my dad if he ever remembers something like that. I guess I could start it up for my family :) Thanks for sharing!

BECKY said...

So festive! I've heard of the pickle thing before!

Angela said...

That's a really cool tradition! It makes me want to go out and buy a pickle ornament for my own tree...I'm sure there's German somewhere in my family...!

Heather J said...

your tree is very pretty. i love the teal, red and cream. and what a fun tradition with the pickle!

paula said...

I love the pickle thing...I'm going to get one and start the tradition with my family. Your tree looks beautiful! Let's get together after the holidays OK?

Heather said...

you have such a beautiful house Shan! My goodness I love it!

Natalie@BusyBudgetingMama said...

love the color combination!! thanks for sharing!

Katy @ A Starter House said...

my sister just gave my husband and I a pickle - I think it is such a cool little tradition!

Angie said...

We have the same pickle! Love that tradition. We also have this awful Michael Bolton ball that we got at a white elephant party and it's one of my favorites to put on the tree every year.

Katie and Josh Fairbanks said...

Josh got a "stress release" pickle(you know like the little balls you squeeze on)wearing a santa hat last year from work. I never had the family tradition of hiding it, but I put a hook through the top and put it on our tree this year. I think it is so cute and a great tradition to start!

McCall said...

got your christmas card today. looove it!

Mands Glenn said...

I Love it! Your skirt is to die for!

Portland Rose said...

I love your tree skirt! And your pickle reminded me that I hope to get it this year at our annual passing of the pickle!!

Connie said...

That's cool that you have a pickle ornament tradition and your mom helps you carry it on (or is it out?)!
Love your tree!

Kristy said...

I love that your Mom bought you one to continue the tradition. Isn't it funny how we remember the little things from our childhood. Very nice O)

Elizabeth said...

Love your tree skirt.

We never did the pickle hiding tradition but my family somehow has gained a billion jokes, presents, and memories of pickles over the years. Fun times.

Evie B. said...

We have that exact same pickle at our house - my kids love it!

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

What do you think ? Do I look hot ?

You can see my pics here.

[url=http://sexscreener.org/p/random/1992]My Profile[/url]

Channa said...

Your tree looks great! I think I may have to do alittle copy catting next year. :)