Wednesday, November 18, 2009

{hanging basket tutorial}

When I was asked to do a segment on decorating with baskets, I was excited, but wondered where to even start. I mean really, you can do so much with baskets! So after narrowing my ideas down, I went on the hunt for some great finds.

When I saw this basket (from Big Lots $12) I didn't love the color or the liner, but I knew it had potential!

First, I spray painted it flat black. I wasn't too sure that flat was going to work, but it looks mahvelous!

While I let the basket dry, I got out the wood pieces I found at Roberts ($0.79) and spray painted them heirloom white and glazed them up a bit to give them a worn feel.

While those were drying, I printed out my little number design I wanted on the front of the wood pieces & traced the design on the opposite side with a pencil to use as a stencil.

After placing the pencil side down and centering it on my wood piece, I used a marker tip to rub the design onto the wood.

Then I used a magic marker to darken the design.

The last step was to drill two little holes, large enough for my wire to fit through and then fixed them to my baskets! A few cute, blue plates later it was done!

16 comments:

Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

You're like the basket guru! Very cool. Looks great above the new basket shelf thingy.

Christina Rodrigues said...

ur sooo creative!

Shellie said...

i have two baskets that could totally benefit from this makeover

thanks shan!

Iryna said...

Hiya!

I just wanted to say thanks for commenting at my blog! I love your header (did you make it yourself??) and just skimming through your entries makes me want to get out my glue gun!

-Iryna

Eri said...

very cool! you are toooooo creative!!

Karlie said...

What I continue to love about your ideas is the fact that we can all achieve the look if we put the effort into it. That's what I love.

Jenn said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. And congrats on your "making it" to Studio 5!

jessica said...

WOW! So cute! I love this idea! I've got to be more creative around my house.

laurelstreet said...

Great job with the baskets - and I really like the typography!

Rocio @ CasaHaus said...

I still can't believe it's your same old dresser... amazing!

Heather said...

those are flipping awesome! What a good idea!

BECKY said...

I recognize that marker from rendering....

Auntie Cake said...

I love those baskets! Great idea, thanks for sharing it with us! I am now on the hunt for great baskets!
Kate

Aubrey said...

Love these!!! Thanks for sharing the idea.

PS~Erin said...

Brilliant! I totally would have passed up this basket had I found it, but you made it so cool. Thanks for the tutorial!!

Natalie Catherine said...

great idea!! kinda random..but what paint color do you have in this room?? i love it.