Monday, November 23, 2009

{basket planter}

I love getting design catalogs in the mail & I'm constantly dog-earring the corners of the pages that have an item that I love. Most of the time I'll rip out the page to carry around with me until I find the necessary items it takes to make it on my own. The Ballard Design catalog is one of my favorites! This past issue showed this room, with a beautiful picnic basket planter & paper-whites growing out of it.

When I found a white, shabby chic picnic basket at a local thrift store in near perfect condition, I knew I had to have it to replicate this look! And it was cheap! Only $3!

The basket was seriously brand new (the tags were still on it!), with adorable pink shabby chic dinner wear inside & was lined with pink and cream stripped fabric.

I took the top of the basket off (and saved the dinner wear of course, but I don't have any use for it...know anyone that wants it?), then I took the lining out (which was a little stained on the bottom...not so appealing), and then I placed styrofoam on the bottom of basket & stuffed crumpled newspaper around it to hold it in place. If I had more time, I would have forced my own paper-whites and waited for them to grow, but the faux flowers work, and I like how this turned out! To finish it off, I added some peat moss to cover the styrofoam and newspaper. The total cost was about $15 in the end. Most of the items were bought on sale or with a 40% off coupon at local craft stores!

And, here is the final result....Ta-da!

I might glaze the basket so it's not so bright white & maybe even tie a cute, festive ribbon around it for the Holidays! Oooh! Or I might even replace the paper-white with poinsettias!

15 comments:

Kristina P. said...

It is perfect! I'm sure your house looks amazing at Christmas.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Such a beautiful idea. I love it. I hope you and your family have a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs, Marty

Breezy said...

I love it!! It turned out great.

Lori said...

So cute and what a great find on the picnic basket.

The Warner Corner said...

Your basket turned out better than the one in the catalog. I love it! Thank you for your blog. I LOVE decorating from thrift store finds.

The Slack Family said...

You're amazing! I have followed your blog since seeing you on Studio 5 (I get so excited when you're on there - haha) Thanks for all the fabulous ideas! I'm so inspired by your creativity!

Heather said...

Ok can I just say I LOVE these basket posts? I have a tone of Basjkets that I have no idea what to do with. and you are just ramping up the ideas! I am still thinking about those black baskets you made with the dishes hanging in them, I cant get that out of my mind, I HAVE to try that!

Eldon & Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eldon & Brooke said...

You are so creatively thrifty! I love it! The dinnerware from the picnic basket is darling!

vanessa said...

Oh my I love your cute blog! I don't even remember how I got here! No No I do I saw you on Studio 5! I would love to have you as a Monday Maven (you can see an example on my site inevergrewup.net) Email me inevergrewup@gmail.com I must be being slow today bc I couldn't find your email address on here. I am sure it is though!

The Millers said...

I love your ideas, they are great for inspiration. I'm looking forward to you Christmas give away. I hope it isn't too late to enter. I added your button to my blog at www.armillerfamily.blogspot.com You can check it out there.

Lizzie said...

Good find there darlin! I actually like yours better than the catalog's, it looks more homey.

If you wanna get rid of that dinnerware I'll take it off your hands :P

My Notting Hill said...

Looks terrific! I love that it could look good any season.

sarah marie p said...

Oh, it turned out just perfect! I love it! I think it looks fabulous on that blue dresser! I actually think that your version looks better than the inspiration!

Kas said...

Shannon! Its been years! How are you? I just found your site and love it! You are so talented. I am trying to redecorate my living room in the coming months and might enlist your help :) Keep in touch!