Tuesday, October 27, 2009

{affordable fabric}

image via calico corners
Another question that I've been asked recently is where I buy my fabric. I never pay full price for fabric. Why do you think they call me the thrifty diva? ;) With that said, here are a few other stores I buy fabric on the cheap!

If you know me, then you know that I have a ton of fabric! Half of it came from Calico Corners, where I worked while I was going to school, and I totally took advantage of the employee discount! They have such a great selection of fabric, and honestly, their prices aren't too bad (especially when they're on sale)! Unlike other fabric stores, they'll even let you check large swatches of fabric out, so you can take it home and make sure it'll look perfect in your space!

I also buy a lot of fabric at a local store called Home Fabrics (formerly known as the $2 fabric store). Their prices range anywhere from $2-$12 a yard! The reason they are so cheap is because the bolts of fabric are "seconds" which means that they usually have some sort of flaw in them. Sometimes the print was printed barely off center, or there are some splotches in the bolt of fabric. I've never had a problem working around it, but for those reasons, the mill sells the bolt to Home Fabrics to sell at a discount. Many times you can find fabrics for 1/2 of what you'd pay at a more expensive fabric store! The only other down side is that once the bolt of fabric is gone, it's gone! So make sure you get enough for the project you're working on! Other stores can re-order more fabric for you, but this store can't.

But aside from that, I've found some fantastic, cute, funky fabrics at Home Fabrics on the cheap and I love it! Did you see the fabric on the chairs I reupholstered for Studio 5? Totally got that at Home Fabrics!
Joann's also has really cute, great home decor fabrics that are usually on sale for at least 40% off. If it's not on sale, go online and sign up for their emails and use the 40% off coupon they send you!

If you don't have access to a fabric store, try shopping online! Here are a few great sites!

What are your favorite places to shop for home decor fabric?

7 comments:

Ashlee said...

I love that picture. But knowing my husband, he would grab one of those and clean up a gross mess and it would be ruined! :( I usually buy my fabric from our local fabric store. She is constantly rotating bolts and always has a TON at 60% off.

Aubrey said...

I love love love Home Fabrics. For years I've been spending my pennies there on the BEST fabrics. They're such a bargain that the price can't be beat! I'd even go so far as to say that they have a better selection and pricing than LA's garment district...and that's a hard thing to do.

Keep crafting lady...love what you do. :)

alyssa said...

Honestly I have mostly bought my fabric online!! Ebay...Etsy...Anywhere! I just search around until I find the perfect one, and then go find where it is cheapest :)

Allisha said...

No offense....but you're bad for me. I just went to CalicoCorners. If it weren't for you I wouldn't be addicted immediately. :) Thanks...a lot.

jessica said...

Love this post! I have a little fabric store by my office and it's SO expensive. Cute, but expensive. Thanks for sharing some bargain options.

.jimaie.marie. said...

I am LAME and don't know how to sew but I love drooling over my bff's stash of yummy fabrics and just perusing JoAnne's and petting all the pretty fabrics they have LOL!

Ivy Lou said...

I really love to find fabrics at the DI, thrift stores, and yard sales. I have found some really neat stuff!