Wednesday, September 16, 2009

{gift wrap holder}

I don't know about you, but I love wrapping paper, and I love seeing it displayed in a craft room on pretty, but usually expensive organizers. Last Christmas I seriously considered buying this one from Pottery Barn, but $230 wasn't really in my budget, so I stuck my precious paper in a cardboard box & closed the closet door.

After we moved into our new house and put everything away, there were a few items I couldn't find homes for. My big, magnet board was one of them. I loved it, but I just couldn't find the right spot. (Here's where I used it in our old house)Finally, after a trip to the hardware store, I knew what I wanted to do with it. I decided to turn it into a gift wrap holder!

Here's how I did it...
First, you'll need some cup hooks- the size you get will depend on the size of dowel you use. I used 3/4" hooks & 5/8" x 36" dowels.
Next, spray paint the hooks (I painted them black) and measure how far apart you want to space them. I did mine about every 3" vertically. I also used a 1/16" drill bit so screwing them in would be easier. Oh, I got the big magnet board at a local craft store (Roberts) & took the metal sheet out of the back. I came unfinished and I made my own stencil for the black and white pattern. If you don't see these at your craft store, you could also use an old window, a large frame (check out thrift stores!), or even make your own frame using a couple of 2x4's (Home Depot will cut the wood for you- just give them the measurements!)
Next, I cut the dowels down about 4 inches and painted only the ends because I figured, why paint the whole thing when you're just going to see the ends? Good thinkin' eh? *wink*
And Voila! This is the final result! Pretty isn't she?

30 comments:

BECKY said...

I have to say this is your best yet! This is great and downright genius! Did you just rest the dowels on the top of the hooks? If I've followed right, it seems like you're going to be on tv or something. Very cool!

jessica said...

What a great idea! I've got to do this! I love wrapping paper and I'm with ya' it's got to be displayed.

Alissa said...

THANK YOU! I've been trying to come up with an easy, cute, cheap way to do this for a LONG time. To think, I was actually going to buy those big, ugly ones they have at the department store! Thanks for saving me $38 + shipping on each one!

Aubrey said...

When I'm lucky enough to own my own home with a craft room, you better believe I'll be visiting your blog archive to make me one of these. Brilliant Shannon!!!

Karlie said...

Fun! Ooh I just thought. I could display my collection of ribbon in my floral shop like that. Thanks for being so awesome.

cathycan said...

LOVE it!! You crafty girl, you!

Shane and Jamie Smith said...

That is really cool, I wish I had a crafting bone in my body :)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

No way! I love this, so, SO much! I have GOT to make one (or a few!) of these. Thanks so much for the fabulous idea, I'll be linking to this.

Vintage Dutch Girl said...

I cannot even comprehend the number of these I would need to make to showcase my wrapping paper collection :)

AWESOME idea and tutorial, thanks for sharing!

Talia said...

wow, this is so super creative!! GREAT idea!! Also, I love your wrapping papers. I am such a sucker for pretty wrapping...

Eri said...

awesome idea!! You are one talented lady :)

alyssa said...

Now THAT is awesome! I may or may not have to steal that one :)

The Brady Bunch said...

How your mind works is amazing to me!! I would never be able to come up with something like that.

McCall said...

i absolutely LOVE this shannon!!! good work! and i LOVE all your wrapping paper...maybe i need a present from you. hee hee. teasing.

.jimaie.marie. said...

this is amaaaazing!
If I had a craft room, this would most def be in it, how cool!
You have adorably cute wrapping paper btw!!

Julie said...

What a fun idea!!!!

CharlaAlldredge said...

I love this. I have a magnet board like that from Roberts and I couldn't decide where to put it in the new house. I love this idea so much! I have my new office and craft room in tis house and I can't wait to try this. So fun. Thanks for sharing!

Hawleywood said...

Such a great idea! My wrapping paper is "stored" in a plastic laundry hamper right now. SO not cute! I will be copying this idea in 3...2...1...now!

Clair said...

What a cute idea! I love this. I'm going to have to make me one.

Suzanne in TX said...

Splendid idea! Thanks for sharing with all of us.
Have a great upcoming week,
Suzanne in TX

Lindsey @ Better After said...

Hi there!
A friend forwarded me your link today and I love your blog! I'd love to feature some of your projects on my blog sometime, c'mon over and have a look!

sarah marie p said...

Oh, I love this! What a brilliant idea. And your wrapping paper is all so very pretty! I wish mine wasn't stuck in a closet!

sohobutterfly said...

Ummmmmmmmmmm, you are BRILLIANT! Love this.

steph anne said...

I absolutely love this idea!!

nichole said...

such a great idea! thank you for the constant inspiration.

laura said...

I was totally looking for something like this! Perfect thanks so much! May link to your site :)

dosoates said...

I am totally inspired! I will def make one of these for my craft corner. THANK YOU! :)

http://dosoates.blogspot.com

LG said...

this is a great idea!!

scrippsy1221 said...

how did you come up with the stencil pattern?

WittyRN said...

I LOVE IT! I just sent my husband to lowes to get the materials.. I'm making one today! In fact.. I am making one for my neighbor as well! Oh.. btw, I am going to put hooks across the bottom of mine to hold various gift bags!! Thank you for the idea :)