Wednesday, August 26, 2009

{the man cave}

Here it is! It is finally finished! Actually, that's a lie...it's 99.9% finished. I just need to find a wooden, swivel, office chair, and I need to finish upholstering the side chair.

Would you believe we did the entire room for less than $300? It's true! Being the thrifty chick I am, I used a lot of stuff I already had & found a lot of great bargains for the rest!

Before
After
The desk is made out of 2 filing cabinets that I found at D.I. (thrift store) for $10 each. They were a yucky, oatmeal color, so I painted them black with spray paint, which didn't really work like I thought it would. It was too splotchy & streaky so I ended up painting them with Rustoleum paint and rolled it on with a sponge roller. (Total cost for paint $8.50)

The desk top is an old door that my mom and I found years ago scavenging through trash pick up piles downtown. (Look in those trash piles! There are free treasures to behold!)

The glass for the desk top was the most expensive item in the room at $79. I called about a million local glass companies and ended up going with Beehive Glass in Salt Lake. To keep the cost down, I only had them sand the edges, instead of sanding & polishing them (which saved about $30). We also picked the glass up, instead of having it delivered, but it was worth it! It saved us $90!
The shelves ($15 each), lamp ($24), frame ($9), & magazine holders ($3.00) are from Ikea. Love that store! The star ($11), bike ($11), & old sign ($4) are from Real Deals- another one of my favorite stores!
You're probably wondering what these metal parts are. This is a piston that Andrew got out of an old engine at his shop & cleaned off. Such a neat piece!
I had the curtain rod & found the drapes at Big Lots ($15). My favorite bargain in the room was the bamboo roman shade from WalMart! It was on sale for $27 and I had a $10 gift card so I got it for only $17! It's not often you can find a great deal on window treatments that actually fit perfectly in the window you need them!

The old chair in the corner was also a D.I. find ($5). For pictures sake, I draped the fabric I'm going to upholster it with, so you could get an idea of what it will look like. I bought that fabric years ago when I worked at Calico Corners.

Last is the paint. We got it at Home Depot and I was surprised that Andrew liked my paint choices! I thought for sure he'd hesitate when I held up the orange, but he went right with it and now he loves it! The colors are Mississippi Mud & Crispy Gingersnap.
So, that's it! Hope you enjoyed the little tour!

22 comments:

alyssa said...

Now that's awesome :) I love the door!

Jill said...

You are truely gifted my friend.

Eri said...

ooooohhhh I love the idea of filing cabinets - we are needing a new computer desk and I think I will be stealing your idea! thanks

Shellie said...

Shannon I LOVE it! those colors are awesome. good job:)

Ashlee said...

what a great man space! I love all the little details on the shelf. Hubby and I decided if we ever buy a house, we each get our own room :) I think that's a good idea. to escape :)

Julie said...

Wow! It turned out great. I love the color on the walls.

jessica said...

I love the orange! And the desk function and form! Where did you find that metal "C"?

Sara said...

I love it! Especially the desk!

nichole said...

i love it. what is the paint color on the main wall? it is perfect.

BECKY said...

Fabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbulous!!!! You did so great!

steph anne said...

So creative and unique! It feels good to do that instead of just spending a lot of money on all brand new furniture.

cathycan said...

Don't forget the gas-pump pic you took on vacay! You are not afraid to go outside the box and do thngs I would never think of...old and stodgey I guess (: {

lifeinredshoes said...

What a lucky guy.

Clair said...

So cute Shannon! I love the orange wall and the door idea. I'd love to have a "door" desk.

Brandon and Michelle Day said...

I love what you have done!!! So great! I seriously need to get a vision for one of my rooms and go thrifting with you! Please call next time you do And your garden.....AMAZING!!

Em said...

Dear Shannon, Im thinking of doing some major remodeling over labor day weekend. Any tips would be great! You are so talented!

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Looks AWESOME Shan. You are so very talented. I love the color combo and all the fun accessories! You've made my man very jealous of your man. He wishes he could have a fab man cave too! :)

*jimaie.marie* said...

i LOVE this!!
What a lucky man you have, my husband would be SO JEALOUS :D

Katy said...

omg. can you please rub off some of your creativeness on me please?!?!?! Love this room! I can't wait to decorate my own place! HAHA!

Breezy said...

Shan~~ my husband is sooooo not seeing this man cave.. nope.. no way!

you did a great job.. it looks awesome.

sohobutterfly said...

Very nice... VERY nice! That orange colour is perfection.

Mrs. Limestone said...

Very nice. Thanks for sharing this. I know the glass is going to be the most expensive part...any reason you didn't go with plexi? My desk is 80 inches long so I'd rather go with something lighter.

Your door was in a lot better shape than mine is - there are tons of patches, etc. Looks like someone beat it up for fun :)