Tuesday, August 25, 2009

{how does your garden grow?}

This was what our backyard looked like when we first moved in. Pretty simple, with a few concrete pavers & a lot of mulch! It was the perfect canvas to start a new garden! After scooping up the old mulch, we tore up the weed barrier & tilled the ground. Well, we tried to till it. It was rock solid, so we (and by we, I mean Andrew) had to manually break the dirt up before we could even till it.
June 2008
After much hard work, we (and by we, I mean I) laid more pavers for a fuller path to the gate, planted tomatoes, corn, & pumpkins, and a few other flowers.
July 2008

And this is how the garden currently looks. Our pumpkins have gone wild and have taken over the whole garden! The corn if finally producing corn and while we have about a million green tomatoes, we've only seen 2 red ones. Hopefully they'll turn red soon!
You can see my gazing ball somewhere under the pumpkin leaves!
Our green tomatoes! Does anyone have a good recipe for fried green tomatoes? Yummy!

Pretty annuals planted in an old bucket!

12 comments:

Julie said...

It looks great! I did see Paula Dean on the food chanel do a pie with green tomatoes, it looked really good. My daughters tomatoes where all green but then this last week they all at once turned red!

steph anne said...

Beautiful!! I'd love to have a backyard like that if I didn't live in Arizona.

Lisa K said...

I have a great recipe for them on my recipe blog. It's a Paula Deen recipe but it's not a pie.

cathycan said...

Such a charming little yard!

Mands Glenn said...

YOu are amazing! It looks gorgeous. I love when the tomatoes come in. We just moved and we scooped up our tomatoes to see if they would keep growing. Wish us luck! I want to just go sit in your backyard. It looks so peaceful!

alyssa said...

OK wow! I am getting jealous over here over all of your produce! Do you have any tips? I don't have a place for much stuff yet (right now I have a few herbs in some half wine-barrels), but we'll be getting to that soon :)

nichole said...

such a beautiful garden- great use of a small space!

next year you will be in the garden tour?!?

Scott and Lindsey said...

Maybe you could come by and work on our yard and garden. It is a mess!

Jill said...

Lovely. I'm envious.

Karlie said...

Lovely. It proves what you can do with the space you have. You can pretty much do anything when you put the work into it.

BECKY said...

It looks incredible. Great job!

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Wow, Shan. Again you amaze me. My garden is dead (our tomatoes got a disease...) I wish I had your touch. Not only is it functional (as in edible) but it also looks beautiful! You are awesome. I want to be like you.