Friday, July 17, 2009

{outside, looking in}


Do you leave your blinds open? I do.

Even when I lived on my own, I kept my drapes open. Maybe I didn't want to hide the old, beautiful, paned glass french doors from the 1920's, or maybe I wanted to show off my cute decor to the condo dwellers across the street. Looking back, it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. I mean, some crazy person could have been watching me and realized, "Gee, I don't see anyone but her in there 90% of the time (note: Andrew did come over now and then when we were dating) and it looks like she's on the 2nd floor...hmmm..." and then he would have plotted to kidnap me. I mean, it's not like I ever walked around naked with the blinds open (okay, it happened once- that's a story for later- remind me to tell you), but I really enjoy the natural light coming in during the day and seeing out at night.

No need to worry though, I'm no peeping Tom, I just love seeing houses lit up at night. There's something about warm lighting radiating from a window that adds so much to a home and walking or driving by a house with the blinds open that is decorated nicely is something I enjoy seeing. I guess it gives off a homeyness from the outside looking in and it's comforting.

13 comments:

Mands Glenn said...

I totally agree. I love outdoor lighting and hope to have lots of it someday. YOur home looks so warm and cozy inside. I want to come in!

Lisa K said...

My mom and I would always drive around at night and see who left their blinds open and then look at how they decorated the inside of their home!

Julie said...

I loved when we were in Holland and they all leave there blinds open at night and it was so fun to look in there homes and see all the cute stuff they had! I really don't think of myself as a peeping tom!

Cody said...

It used to drive me crazy to leave the blinds open in the apartment. I don't know why... all anyone could ever see was me sitting at my computer or watching TV.

But, I finally got over it because the door to the balcony is the only source of natural light in the apartment, and because the cats make such a fuss over not being able to see out that it's not worth closing the blinds.

Jill said...

Agreed. It is comforting. Did I miss an email from you? Did I delete it accidently? I'm sure it had info that would help me mucho...

*jimaie.marie* said...

I do when my husband's home! LOL!! One of my favorite things is taking night walks and not necessarily peeping in the windows but noticing life go by as it does for other people... I love it!

BECKY said...

I get nervous leaving windows open, but can't resist!

Mrs. Limestone said...

I try to leave my shutters open as much as possible. I feel too caged in otherwise. And I love looking into other peoples homes for sure.

Aubrey said...

Oh that room just looks so comfy and cozy! :)

And in response to your questions:

1. YES, the ocean water makes the corn taste ohhh so much better.

2. I wish I knew Marguex, but I don't. I'll have to check out her wedding though. Sounds beautiful!!

MISS YOU!

Barry Cann said...

I am a huge proponent of leaving the blinds open, Sis. :)

Shayner and Ern said...

agreed! and it looks fantastic!

ABOUT ME said...

Hey Design Gal,

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Mamma B's Attic. I love yours too and am going to add you to my fav blogs if you don't mind. I ALWAYS leave my blinds open at night and am going to take a pic tonight and post on my blog with a link to this post on yours. Us vintage loving gals all think alike!

On your trip to Boise, the Shabby House and the Antique World Mall are about the only ones left as many of the shops have closed in the last year. I don't head to Salt Lake very often, so am not sure about the little towns on the way. Drop me a line on when you're coming. I'd love to meet up for coffee or something.

Take care, Di

steph anne said...

I wish I could leave them open. I think it's because I live in an apartment and there's a lot of people that walk around in front of our apartment.

However I think we will leave them open once we move in our new house next week! So excited!