Monday, July 13, 2009

{concrete garden balls}

I am loving my new garden and the projects it has allowed me to explore!
My fantastic mom first introduced me to concrete garden balls when she made her own years ago, and I knew once I had my own yard I wanted to make them too!
Here's how I did it...
1~ I bought these glass light covers at a thrift store for $3. Make sure there are no cracks in the glass or it will break when you fill them with concrete!

2~ Spray the inside with non-stick cooking spray- it helps in breaking the glass away from the ball at the end!

3~ Set the glass ball in a pile of dirt or sand so that it can't roll away while you're filling it and as it's curing.

4~ We used a quick setting concrete found at most hardware stores. I like the ones with fine gravel. Pour the dry mix in the bucket (we poured about 1/2 the bag in) and then add water until it reaches the consistancy of peanut butter...or maybe a little bit runnier. You don't want it too runny, but not too hard either. Play around with it!
5~ Use a small garden shovel to fill the balls. After every scoop, give the ball a shake or twist to help it settle and break up any air bubbles.
6~ Fill the ball to the top and try to make it as level as possible. We had a little bit extra so I used an old baking pan to make a little stepping stone & used gravel (from our soil- it's so rocky!) to make the heart pattern. Let the balls sit for at least 24 hours to set up! When the concrete has turned light, use a hammer to lightly tap the glass and break away pieces off the concrete ball. Make sure you wear gloves & safety glasses so you don't injure yourself! Throw away the glass and you're done!
The balls will be heavy, so be careful when you lift them! They add great detail to your garden and they're so easy! If you have any questions feel free to email me!

29 comments:

Lisa K said...

Those are really cute! What a good idea.

Kristina P. said...

I never would have thought to do this! So cool!

cathycan said...

I love mine! I think I might wax a couple of them. I like to push them down a little into the ground so the stem doesn't show. They turned out well!

Julie said...

What a great idea!!! Your garden is looking great.

Karlie said...

Love the idea! I am jealous of your little garden. Someday I will have one to enjoy too.

Brit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BECKY said...

Unique! Nice work! I really like how the heart turned out with stones.

Cory & Megan said...

i am pretty sure that blogstalking someone you know in real life is a little like the drive-bys you used to do in high school. slightly creepy, but not totally.

anyway, umm can you decorate my house? that would be great.

Mandi Arrington said...

That is an awesome idea!

TexasDeb said...

I love these and will be scouting my favorite thrift shop with an eye towards scoring some glass forms. TODAY.

Questions about the pan/stepping stone - how do you get the concrete out of the pan afterwards? Did you bend/cut it off the hardened concrete or spray it first and the concrete just falls out so you can reuse the pan? Please share the details?

Manvi said...

what a simple but great idea. I always wanted concrete spheres for my garden but didnt come across any that were budget friendly. I have to post a link to this on my blog.
Thanks for a very neat DIY!

B said...

love the column ball! love it! however, i am just a tad too lazy for such a project:) always the case.

great job!!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I just came over from your Design Sponge post. I love your project and your blog! I'll be subscribing.

iva yaneva said...

how clever! great idea, it really looks wonderful :)

ScottHokunson said...

Very cool Design Gal! I am going to try one or two of my own. Mason suppliers will have coloring for mortar, think I might see what I can come up with. Thanks for sharing this!

Scott

Jessica said...

I have a couple of old light covers that were just waiting for the junkyard I am going to have to try this out! Thanks for the great tip!

~Jessica @
Abella Blue

Barry Cann said...

Oooh... very nice, Sis!

jennifer said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Margaret

http://howtomakecompost.info

Geno's Garden said...

...this leads to a whole lot of something. Great inspiration! Thanks, mom

Anonymous said...

[url=http://akreoplastoes.net/][img]http://akreoplastoes.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]purchase used software, [url=http://akreoplastoes.net/]to buy new software[/url]
[url=http://akreoplastoes.net/][/url] acdsee 7 key gis software purchase
autocad pdf converter lines overwrite [url=http://rastimores.net/]adobe photoshop cs3 tutorials[/url] software training in canada
[url=http://rastimores.net/]adobe photoshop cs4 extented[/url] soft sales software
[url=http://rastimores.net/]educational software for kids[/url] office 2007 enterprise blue edition
to buy linux software [url=http://akreoplastoes.net/]cheap adobe software[/url][/b]

jennys hus said...

Love this! So much that i had to wright about it on my blog:-)

HyunChard said...

Fun!! I can't wait to watch the progress. My wife just started building (from scratch) a shed this weekend that will be our home office, since our current one will soon be taken over by baby #2. I'm hoping there might be another cheap sheds for me (craft/project spot) in the future.

Shedman said...

This is fantastic! what a great job, looks really fun to make, thanks for posting it here. Rob@ http://shedplansandwoodworking.com

Bill C said...

This process is great for a ball that will sit on the ground and not show the bottom. But how can I achieve a perfectly spherical ball that will sit on a flat granite surface?

Pam said...

How about coloring the concrete? These are sooo cool - can see them with a bit of color. Any ideas how? Thanks for the fun project!

Stephanie said...

For a little color remove 20% of the water and add latex paint. mix well before adding to cement.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the idea. . I have only a small area extending from my patio. And looking for ideas of different shapes. I really appreciate this info

Jennifer Schneider said...

Hello,

Thank goodness for Pinterest lol I ran into this great idea and the instructions are easy to follow and awesome. I was wondering though how do you get the heart stepping stone out of the pan and do you spray with nonstick spray prior to adding cement or not at all. Thanks so much!!

Bala Krishnan said...

I have made mold template to make many balls without using glass spheres.

i used a big bucket, sprayed wd40, fill it up till half with concrete, then fit an old bowling ball (sprayed with wd40 also) right in the middle.

Then lay down some newspaper at the side (equator)and spray more wd40 and press them till they are centered. then pour more concrete till full. Thats all. we can make many balls now. just cover the bowling ball holes before using.