Monday, May 25, 2009

{vacation part 1, and back to reality}

We are back from our vacation! We had so much fun, but it's so nice to be home. Well...kind of. I love sleeping in my own bed and not thinking about where we're going to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner everyday, but coming home also meant coming back to reality, and my reality right now involves lots and lots of packing. We close tomorrow *fingers crossed* and if all goes as planned, we'll be moving this weekend!

Anyway, more about that later. Here's a little recap of the beginning of our vacation.
On our way down to L.A. I asked Andrew if we could take a slight detour and drive past my grandparents old house in Yucaipa. We had a GPS to tell us how to get there, but I knew I wouldn't need it. I had made that drive with my family hundreds of times since I was 6, and the closer we got to their old house, the more emotional I got. It had been about 6 years since I had visited that house and a slew of emotions flooded over me as we drove past familiar sights. I tried to control myself, but when we pulled up in front of the house, I lost it. I just started bawling. Everything was exactly how I remembered it, except for a new tree in the middle of the front yard. Oh, how I wanted to get out of the car, knock on the door, and go inside the house where so many of my childhood memories reside. I wanted to go in the back yard and clean walnuts that had fallen off the tree, and sit in the old wood swing. I wanted to run down to the gully and look for old, rusted treastures hidden in the tall grass. I was seriously tempted to knock on the front door and introduce myself as a county inspector, and could I please check a few things around the house, so I could secretly remind myself of how it looked inside, but of course I didn't. We couldn't stay parked in front of the house too long, as I'm sure I looked questionable, crying and taking pictures while pointing out the window, so we drove away. I still couldn't control myself after driving away, so I gave my inner emotions a good slap across the face saying to myself, "Control yourself woman!" like they do in old movies when someone is in hysterics. It worked, and soon I was okay.
After visiting the old house, we drove to Grandlunds candy store that we would visit when we were at grandma's house. The store had changed a lot, and was more of an ice cream/sandwich store than a candy store, but it was still fun to see again. Andrew took this picture after we had ordered a few floats. I wish I was one of those people who could cry without a trace of emotion on my face after, but as you can see, my eyes are still wet and a little puffy.

When we finally made it to L.A. we set out to find a great Filipino restaurant for dinner. Andrew spent 2 years in the Philippines as a missionary and he really wanted me to try to the cuisine he loved so much! We found a restaurant in Anaheim and I let Andrew order for me. He knows what I like and since I had no idea what was in the chafers in front of me, I had to trust him!
What I ended up with was what you see below...at the top we have adobo which was a chicken dish and wasn't half bad! The dish on the bottom is tortang talong or eggplant omelet. I love eggplant, but this wasn't my favorite! And on the left is the rice which was delicious with some of the adobo sauce on it!
As you can see, I was a bit nervous to dig in!
Andrew on the other hand, loved it! I'm not sure what he was more excited about. Ordering in Tagalog or eating the food! To be honest, it wasn't my favorite, but it was fun trying something new, and even more fun seeing my husband so happy!
I have more pictures to show you and more vacation stories to tell, but I need to pack a few more boxes! I'll share more soon! Stay tuned!

13 comments:

Brandon and Michelle Day said...

Glad you had a great vacation. And what a wonderful thing for you to do to go by your grandparents home!! Congrats on your new place!!! Can't wait for the housewarming party!! :-) hint hint if you hadn't thought of having one!

BECKY said...

Hooray for vacations... seeing hubby's re-living the mission is a happy thing. :) Good luck for this weekend!

lifeinredshoes said...

I just know that I will do the same thing when I go back to my Grandma's home, I do whenever I pass the house I grew up in.
I can't wait to see your new place, what fun you and your Handyman will have there!

Happy packing, B

Aubrey said...

Looks like you guys had a wonderful vacation! I really wish I could've met up with you at Disneyland but of course Monday I hosted my Bachelorette party, and then Tuesday I was off to Lake Powell. Next time!!!!!!!!!!

Mands Glenn said...

I will be back later to read more about your trip, but I have crying babies that need me right now. That food looked off the hook though. yummy! I love your glasses by the way. I don't know if I have ever told ya that. Cute Cute! See ya salt lake design girl tonight!

The Smith Family said...

SO fun. Looks like you guys had a blast. Can't wait to see more. I love the pictures. lol. Seriously... he looks so happy. lol
Shelley

paula said...

Welcome home! I'm glad you had a good time. I loved the story about your Grandparents home. Isn't it amazing how intense memories are? I'm thinkin the county inspector idea wouldn't have been very believable....what on Earth would they have thought when you walked into the kitchen and burst out into an hysterical fit of tears?

Years ago when we were looking for our house, my husband's childhood home went on the market, the same house his Mom died in when he was 18. The same house he lived in when we first started dating. We told our realtor about it and that we would really like to walk through it (we had no intentions of buying it). She arranged for us to go look at it, without telling the owners the real reason. As we walked through each room, I was just sucking back the tears as the owners told us what they thought each room was initially used for (JD's Mom owned a daycare/preschool in the basement). They were totally off base with their thoughts but we didn't ever tell them otherwise. The thing that killed me was, they still had things in it that had belonged to Jay D's Mom...the kitchen table, a coat rack, decorations, etc. When the house sold, Jay D was only 19, living in it alone and he only had a couple days to get out of it...he had to leave so much behind. I think JD and I both secretely cried a little that night. Anyway-sorry for the long comment-I just wanted to tell you....I can relate.

cathycan said...

oh Androow, filipino food make you look vey cute much happy bo-yee!
Poor sis, you can't go home again {:^( Remember when we were BOTH bawling at the old house in El Monte?

sohobutterfly said...

Hey, we just got back from vacation too! Wooooooooo! Gotta love a good vacay.

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Fun! Gavin took me to an Argentine restaurant once -- same giddiness as Andrew! It's fun to see them so happy and excited! Good luck with moving! You'll have to post about that when you have the time!! :)

{B} said...

Oh man, i'd do the same thing when my Aunt in L.A. passes away. So many memories there. I get a little misty going past my Grandma B's house in Murray. :) Good job for being brave!

Karlie said...

Oh, sweet. I love the grandma's house story. I feel ya.

Kat said...

That's fun that you were able to see your grandma's house. I have pictured similar situations in my mind... it would be so hard not to be able to go into a home I loved so much! As for the food, great to see your man happy, sad to waste a meal on something not so great. My SIL went to the phillipines too and wow they eat crazy things! does he still remember most of the tagalog language?