Tuesday, April 7, 2009

{my house is spotless}

When I'm stressed, I clean. As I bustle around, picking up this and that, organizing drawers, dusting, and scrubbing, I momentarily forget about my problems. I don't know if it's the act of being busy or occupying my mind with other things that gives me such sweet, momentarily relief. I can spend hours, mindlessly, scrubbing the hell out of the baking sheets that have browned from baked on grease. You know, the kind that never comes off, no matter how much elbow grease you put in. Or, maybe it's the satisfaction from seeing the final result. When my house is clean, even though I might be worried out of my mind about something else, at least I have control of one situation, and that is the cleanliness of my home.

I was up until 1:00 cleaning last night. I was flustered, on the verge of tears, and angry. We just finished our taxes- 'nuff said. After I finished scrubbing the stove top, and organizing the junk drawers, I stood back, sighed, and took it all in. I love a clean house. Especially when I'm sick or stressed. Even if my life is out of order, at least I have a clean, organized space to go to, and that eases my mind, if only for a moment.

The thing about cleaning though, is that there is only so much you can do before there is nothing left to clean. Yes, in a day or two, the carpets will need another once over with the vacuum, and the dishes will pile up again, crying out for another soak in sudsy water, but until then, the stressful, anxiety ridden thoughts creep back into my mind, keeping me company through out the night. I know I shouldn't worry about what I cannot control. I should be thankful for being prepared, and having the means to take care of this situation, but it still doesn't loosen the knots in my stomach.

But, as they say, this too shall pass. Until then, watch out. I'm a woman armed with Lysol and Windex, and I think I see a spot on my window.

16 comments:

Brit said...

Dang taxes... I agree I hate years when it's not what you were wanting to expecting.

I hope you cheer up soon!!!

Jill said...

I'm the same way with cleaning! Even reading the word "taxes" made me angry and anxious. Oh...I need to go sweep...

Kristina P. said...

Well, we found out we only owe like $200 to the feds, and with the money we get from State, it's like $50. Boooooooo.

Jess said...

That was me last year! I hate it! That's good that you like to clean though! (I usually go to the chocolate! :) )

Summer said...

I couldn't agree with you more. When I am stress I love to clean my house. I feel like you when you can't control a situation, you can control how clean your house is. Well I hope everything gets better for you soon!

Aubrey said...

We are soooo alike. It's not even funny. I had the worst weekend ever: finished my taxes and found out I owe the IRS $3500+, my car had to be serviced and when I went to pick it up the bill was $920, and all my credit card statements from Europe have started coming in the mail. Ahhhhhhh!!! Talk about needing a good cleaning to de-stress!!! Let's just say my house is SPOTLESS.

Bethany said...

So sorry to hear you are stressed. If you want, you can borrow my kids for a couple of days. They will give you plenty of cleaning to do. :)

Shayner and Ern said...

I used to think that I was the only one who cleaned whenever I am moody,stressed,sad,etc.... This post has proved me wrong. You are correct, when you feel that everything is falling apart, at least you have control over your place and you feel better about everything once you sit back and look at your clean home that smells awesome as well. Taxes do suck. We are about to file ours, and every year my husband owes at least $5,000! Yikes. So we are praying that my taxes I get back, and the fact that we are married will help lower the hige amount. We shall see.
Thanks for the fun post! I think every woman can relate to this. Cleaning is a stress reliever for all!

Lisa K said...

I clean when I'm mad. It's my way of not blowing up on Joe....I blow up on my house!

paula said...

I hear and feel your pain girl. When I am stressed I want to sleep....needless to say, I'm quite tired right now.

It will get better.

The Polka Dotted Owl said...

i am the same way!!! whenever nothing is going right in my life or i feel not in control of anything, i clean. nothing gets the kinks out my neck, quite like a newly cleaned home!!!

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Well said. I hate taxes. But a nice clean house is wonderful. And like you said, something you have control over. Can I come eat off your floor? :)

lifeinredshoes said...

Ours TRIPLED this year and will take every dime that was earmarked for the mainfloor floors:(

cathycan said...

Great post, Shan! See what good things come out of stress! haha
Love the dishes "wanting a soak"!
Exercise is a great stress buster!

The Marquardt Family said...

I am sorry to hear you are stressed. I am the same way when it comes to cleaning. Michael has been gone for a week and I have another 7 weeks without him. All I do is organize and clean. Hope you are ok? just remember that it ALL WORKS OUT!!!! that is my line I have to say to myself at least, I mean at LEAST 20 times a day. Hang in there. xoxox

Anonymous said...

shan! it's teri. i am the exact same way! i cleaned all day today when i should have been doing homework! it takes my mind off of things and i love it! and p.s. can i just tell you that i love the smell of lysol! wierd?