Wednesday, April 22, 2009

{earth is #1!!!}

picture from here
I've been trying to be more green lately. We haven't bought paper towels in months- now I use cheap wash clothes to clean and wipe things with. We put more in the recycle bin than we do in the trash can, and I've been trying to be more green when I clean!
Does your garbage disposal stink? Mine did- until I used a lemon to clean it! Cut it in half, toss it down the disposal, & turn it on! Your house will smell great too!
Did you know that lemons also bleach the stains left from tomato soup & spaghetti on your tupperware? Just rub lemon juice on the spots, let dry in a sunny place, then wash as usual.
You can find more tips, where I found these! Real Simple also has other ideas on how to naturally deodorize other household items!
Happy Earth Day!

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Orange peels work wonders for the disposal as well.

katiepaisley said...

This is great! Good for you. I completely stopped using bleach a couple years ago and use hydrogen peroxide to clean all my surfaces. It is a great natural disinfectant that doesn't cause super bugs or leave chlorine in our drinking water. hmmm... I think I will do an earth day blog entry too. Good idea!

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Good job Shan! Those are great ideas! The only thing I can say is that we have really increased our recycling! Happy Earth Day!

Barry Cann said...

Damn you hippie environmentalists!

Hah! I kid, of course. I've decided to be a bit more green as well. I'm currently working on a solar powered battery with which to recharge my phone, mp3 player, etc.

Hooray for your newfound green initiative!

Jill said...

Thanks for the tips!

Brit said...

I love the lemon idea...way to go, way to be more green :)