Tuesday, March 3, 2009

{oh strep, how I loath thee}

Hey, hey!!!
I am back and ready to start walking among the living!
Strep hit me hard. I'm talking terrible night sweats, chills, feeling like my throat was on fire, throwing up, then dry heaving, and after a few "hallucinations" (I swear I saw a dog scratching at my door, trying to get in), my worried husband took me to the hospital. I was so dehydrated that I could barley walk into the emergency room. (By the way, why is it that when you go to the emergency room, you have to wait forever?! Is that normal? Maybe they take the bleeders first...hmm...anyway.) When we finally got back into a room, the nurse and doctor came in at the same time. As the doctor asked me questions about what was going on, the nurse proceeded to prep my arm for an IV. I was trying to focus on the doctor, but was distracted by what the nurse was doing.
Doctor: So, you have strep and you're on amoxicillin?
Me: Uh...(looking over at nurse, then back at the doctor)...yeah.
Doctor: Okay, well it sounds like you're very dehydrated. You said you've been having trouble keeping anything down?
Me: (watching the nurse pull out a huge rubber band looking thing) Yeah, I've been throwing UP ahhh AAAAHHH HA HAHAHAH HAHA HAHAHAHA!!!!
Right as I was responding, the nurse tied the rubber band around my upper arm, and I was not ready for how tight it was going to be. My first reaction was to yell but it turned into a frantic, loud, hysterical laugh. Seriously, that hurt worse than the IV did!
So anyway, to make a long story short, after a few bags of fluids, a couple shots of steroids & anti-nausea meds, I was feeling much better!
Good enough to take a picture on my phone! I think I took this pre-IV. Not a pretty picture, but hey, strep ain't pretty!
***Thank you to everyone for your well wishes! Andrew and I are so blessed to have great friends who care and worry about us! Thanks for the soup, the calls & texts, the blessings, and the love!***

12 comments:

Samantha said...

I'm sorry Shan! I hate being sick and I am glad you are feeling better. Just so you know, the emergency room DOES NOT take the bleeders first. That doesn't even matter. Trust me I know!

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Wow, Shan. That is horrible. I've never heard of anybody having Strep so bad. I hope you are feeling better and I will pray that you will be healthy for the next year!!! You have certainly had enough this year!!

Jacqueline said...

I hope you feel better soon! Step is the worst.

Karlie said...

Yeah, had no idea strep could do that to someone! What a good husband, taking you to the ER. The ER sucks! If you are not life threatening they put people in front of you! It takes for freaking ever! Get well soon!

sohobutterfly said...

Strep can be just awful! I know exactly what you're talking about... I am glad you're feeling better. Rest up!

Heather said...

Oh my dear lord lady lol, awwwww I have been there before!!! So sorry you felt that way, I am glad you are feeling better,.......GOTTA love the pic :)

Robster said...

Oh goodness! So sorry that you have been feeling so icky....I hope you feel 100% better very soon!

Lisa K said...

I hear ya on waiting forever in ER waiting rooms. When I was pregnant and had a gall bladder attack, I was out there forever, throwing up and moaning in pain. There were some other patients waiting to get in that actually told the ER nurses to take me before them. Thank you strangers!

*jimaie.marie* said...

aww!!! :( I'm so glad you're feeling better now, i hope you're back to your whole self soon Shan!!

Barry Cann said...

Haha! I like the "drugged out" look. I'm glad you're feeling better.

BECKY said...

Bleck! Glad to hear you're on the upside. No more sickies for you, okay!?

sarah marie p said...

Oh my gosh Shan! That's so scary! Poor thing! I can't believe you were so sick! :( SO glad that you're doing better ... hope you're back to 100 percent by now!

Ouchie that rubber band sounds super painful!