Thursday, January 15, 2009

{how to make a fabulous lamp, and other funky finds}

Oh muh gash!
I'm so excited to share my latest finds with you all!
Baaaaahhhhh!!!
Sorry, I had to get that excitement out! Okay, so the other day I stopped by one of my favorite D.I. thrift stores, and boy oh boy did I find some great finds!
First, I'll show you what I found, and then we'll get into how to make a lamp!
I don't know about you, but I love, love, love mercury glass! I found this candle stand (the one on the right) for cheap! And not a flaw on it!
I also found this funky old, retro Kodak camera for $0.50! I love how it looks next to my Brownie camera picture!

And last, but not least, these great finds were the inspiration for my lamp! The lamp shade is grey silk with a velvet damask print, and the only flaw on it was a tiny grease spot on the back seam, which came right out with a little soapy water!

Here is how I made my lamp....
When I found the mirrored candle stick, I immediately pictured it as a lamp base, and realized that the candle holder on top was screwed in.

After unscrewing the top, I whipped out my handy dandy drill (which every girl should own) and 12" long drill bit (Yes, it really is that long! How else would I have drilled all the way through?) and I began carefully drilling. A couple of minutes later, I made it through, and vacuumed up my space before I moved on! (Yeah yeah...drilling on the carpet is a little tacky, but don't judge, it was cold outside!)
I then inserted what is called a "nipple" into the hole I drilled. (FYI- You can find all of these supplies at your local hardware store.)
I then covered it with a silver cap, screwed the socket cap onto the nipple, and threaded the wire cable up through the bottom to the top.
After pulling the wires apart to separate them, I tied an underwriter's knot, connected the wires to the terminal screws, and attached the socket shell.
***NOTE: If you are NOT familiar with electrical wiring, consult your local electrician or hardware store. Wiring incorrectly can result in electrical shock/fire hazard!***
All that was left, was to add my light bulb and place the shade, and VOILA! This is the final result! I put it on my kitchen counter, and I LOVE it!

16 comments:

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

That is WAY WAY WAY cute. I love it. You are so creative, Shannon. And for all those that don't know how to wire the lamp, they sell a kit at the hardware store (I used in when I did my lamp design ages ago in college...)

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

So, I feel like a total idiot... now that I'm reading your EARRING post and realize that you bought a lamp kit at Lowes! Hahaha.

Jill said...

Wow!!! Ok you maybe should just get your own show on HGTV. Love that lamp!

Meg and Alex said...

You're crazy! Crazy awesome! Did you really find all that at the D.I.? I'm jealous, I love the lamp very cute.

Shellie said...

Shan why you got to be so cool. I wish I had your talent. Honestly you make everything so beautiful.

Robin said...

That lamp is so cute! Seriously. You've got some awesome creativity and design skills....and you always seem to do it so affordably, I love it! p.s. those flour and sugar canisters are very cute too!

caitlin said...

Super cute! I enjoy how creative you are when decorating. I always see what I want to do in my head, but when I try to make it happen, it looks well.. not as good as your stuff!!

sohobutterfly said...

I love it! You've got mad skillz!

Lisa K said...

That lamp is too cute, but so are the jars of sugar and stuff you have on your counter. I won't those too! =)

BECKY said...

Wowsa. You are SO talented! It looks fab!

Summer said...

Amazing! You are so, so creative.

Aubrey said...

You are so cute and crafty. I wish I had time to do fun stuff like this. I'm too busy finding me a husband. Hmph!!! (shrug shoulders.)

And FYI - I too am OBSESSED with Mercury glass. I love it. I love it. I love it.

Barry Cann said...

Very nice, Shan! You're so handy! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that camera you got. Where did you find it?

irunwithscissors said...

that little camera is soo cute!

Jessica Kettle said...

dude. first, the lamp. SERIOUSLY???! I can't look at candle sticks anymore without thinking about how they will look at lamps. I am SOOOOO wanting to try it out but way too chicken. I vote that you host craft night and give a little lesson. of course I will invite myself.

Second. Where did you find the camera? I collect vintage cameras and am always looking for them at d.i. sometimes I get lucky. =) Love the framed piece too! like a lot.

Karlie said...

What the! So after I get all my organizing done I can tackle some fun projects like this? Love it all!