Monday, January 26, 2009

{hercules hook}

If you're like me, when you see an infomercial for a product on TV, you think, "Okay, it looks cool, but does it really work? I mean, can it really buff away my hair or soak up every ounce of water or keep my food fresh for weeks?!"

Well my friends, here's one product you can count on.
You know you've seen the ad for them, and you know you've been wanting to try them out! I know, I know, I was a skeptic once too, but I've seen the light!

See, a few months ago, I bought this medicine cabinet at the K-Mart in Sugar House that was going out of business. It was 60% off and I knew exactly where I'd put it! The empty space above my toilet was calling for some company, so after I crackle painted it, I went to hang it, but much to my dismay, the studs weren't where they needed to be to hang this heavy, 25lb cabinet! Because we're renting, I didn't want to put huge dry wall screws into the wall and make big holes, so my little medicine cabinet sat in the hallway, until I could figure out where to put it. Then last week, the hubs and I were walking around Bed Bath & Beyond and I saw the Hercules Hooks, and I thought, "What the heck? I'll give them a try!" So we came home, put 2 hooks in the wall, and they held it up! I was a bit skeptical because the cabinet is pretty heavy, but the hooks claim to be able to hold up to 150 lbs, and so far it's holding up!
We still cover our head with our hands when we're on the toilet though, just in case it falls...ha ha!
i'm kidding!

9 comments:

Jessica Kettle said...

aaaaaaand yes. i will go buy some now.

paula said...

I had some of these very hooks....I threw them all away after I took the shelf off the wall and saw the massive holes they left in my wall...Maybe I didn't install them correctly. I hope you have better luck with them.

See Sherm Blog said...

I LOVE these hooks!!!!! I was given them as a gift by my mother in law. So I never saw the commercial, at first. They ended sitting in our garage for the last 2 years... but just this past weekend, when we were trying to figure out the best way to hang a big canvas painting over Rowan's crib, Kyle said we should try out the Hercules Hooks. I was like, "yea yea, what ever. Those will never hold this." Sure enough... they were AWESOME and the most stable thing we could have used. I feel very safe having used two hooks to hang up a canvas over my son's crib. :-) They are awesome!

Karlie said...

I too am a Hercules Hook fan! We use them all over our house! We used four of them to hang a big mirror in our front room. So easy! And the mirror hasn't budged.

*jimaie.marie* said...

ok so after reading yours AND colleens reviews? DUde, i am SO going out and getting some of those suckers! NEATO!

John, Allisha, and Ezra said...

Shannon, We sell these. They are AMAZING. We hang all of our pictures with them at the furniture store. If something rips out of the wall it must mean that they were installed wrong because we hang VERY heavy pictures with them and the work 100%. They're great because they don't leave large holes in the wall and if you have plaster you don't have to hit a stud. They're great. e-mail me if you want me if anyone wants to buy any! :) lish_20@hotmail.com

alyssa said...

Ohhh AWESOME!! It always makes me happy to hear some of those things work :) I love the cabinet! Hmm...now I want new medicine cabinets...haha!

cathycan said...

hahahaha, loved the "still cover our heads" ending!! the cabinet looks great in that spot. That was a fantastic sale!

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Looks great! THanks for sharing! We have a really heavy medicine cabinet from ikea that we have in our bathroom. Our wall looks HORRIBLE behind it because we couldn't get it to stay up with even the best drywall screws. We tried EVERYTHING... EXCEPT for those! When we move (and repair that wall), I'll have to get some of those so we don't go through the same fiasco!