Thursday, January 22, 2009

{designing in my sleep...literally}

I couldn't sleep last night. I kept reviewing conversations from the day in my mind, thinking of better responses to what I originally said, while also thinking of everything I need to do this week. My mind was racing a million miles a minute.

Augh.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this...

As I was laying there, trying to calm down my mind, I decided to try out a few relaxation techniques I learned last week. One of the techniques is to lay there, and focus on one thing, like how something feels. So I focused on my pillow.

Ah, yes. I breathed in deep. The pillow is soft....fluffy....it feels...warm....no hot....wait...my neck is hot....*sigh*...flip pillow over to cool side....ahhhh....much better....okay, back to focusing on the pillow....clear your mind, Shan...the pillow is fluffy....like a cloud....in the sky....the sky? Oh crap! I forgot to book my plane ticket for next week....

AHHHH! And then my mind is racing once again.

I laid there for another hour, tossing and turning when I finally decided to use a technique that I've used since I was little. I decorate my dream house in my mind. I don't just decorate it though, oh no. I focus and concentrate very hard, picking out the perfect piece of land for my house. Then I begin to build the home. Where the windows will go, what color the outside trim will be, what stone I will use, etc. I picture every nook and cranny. When the outside is finished (including landscaping), and if I'm not asleep by then, I focus on the interior. In my mind, I can see every detail- the molding, the paint color, accents, furniture textiles, pillows, drapes, hardware, and I place all of them in my dream house.

When I finally fall asleep, I usually dream about decorating (no kidding, right?). Last night I dreamt I was designing a room in an airport for people to sleep in while waiting for their flights. Not just any room though. All of the rooms looked exactly like my childhood bedroom.

Weird, I know.

Does anyone else have their own little trick to falling asleep?

8 comments:

Tara Thue said...

Shan, I do the SAME THING!!! You know what the solution is...Lunesta. Seriously, I swear by it.
I also had a doctor in college who prescribed xanex for that. Although I do love me some xanex, I feel like it is better for calming my brain down and not necessarily for making me sleepy. The Lunesta does both-calms and sleep-if-ies.

Tara Thue said...

In the alternative...this might sound silly, but self-hypnosis through breathing techniques can also make me dream. But not usually about designing :)

Karlie said...

I wish I could think about things before I fall asleep, that would be great meditation. But the minute my head hits the pillow I am out! Also, I don't talk enough to anyone to wish I had said something a different way. I need to take more time to think, thanks Shan. I am sure you are not the only one.

The Smith Family said...

uh... have three kids... you'll never have a problem falling asleep, bc you'll be so tired. It's STAYING asleep, while they sneak up in your bed at 3AM, that is the trick! lol
Shelley

Lisa K said...

My trick is melatonin. Seriously, love the stuff.

sarah marie p said...

I always stay up WAY too late ... like 1 a.m. or 2 am. ... so when I finally convince myself not to read in bed, I fall asleep instantly. I really need to start going to bed earlier!

paula said...

Have a kid! You will just fall in bed with exhaustion each night. No really-I actually do the same thing, I go over in my head all the things that have to be done, conversations that I need to have, conversations that I've already had, etc. I know this sounds bad but I start to pray and then I fall asleep in the middle of it. I figure God understands and doesn't hold it against me that I can never actually finish a prayer.

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

I do exactly the same thing many nights. I hate it!!! Whatever is on my mind, I think about until I can FINALLY fall asleep. We actually have an offer in on a house, and I go CRAZY thinking about it. But, thinking of all the changes I want to make (someday...) does the opposite for me... it keeps me awake!