Thursday, December 4, 2008

{post-Thanksgiving gratitude and anxiousness}

Sorry for the lack of posts. Do you ever feel like you get on a roll blogging and have a hundred things to blog about, and then all of the sudden, you have nothing? That's where I'm at now. Really, the only thing that is on my mind is the economy, and since that what I'm thinking about, that's what I'll blog about. Sometimes I want this blog to be strictly design related, and only post about projects and lovely finds. Other times, I want to treat it like a journal, and write about what I'm feeling. I worry about getting too personal though. I've never really been comfortable with sharing my feelings with strangers, nor do I like having people feel sorry for me. Although I've never met some of you in real life, I feel like I've gotten to know you through your blogs, so in a sense we're not strangers. I guess I shouldn't feel funny then about expressing my emotions then, right? Plus, if you're like me, I like reading blogs about people who are having a bad day, or who are going through a rough time. Weird? Maybe. But it makes that person real to me, and I find comfort in knowing they're going through something I am feeling too.

If you've been following my blog, you know that a couple of months ago, I got a new job, and I feel so blessed to have it. It was a huge leap for me. See, I like change, just not drastic change (like chopping off all of my hair after getting married and switching jobs), but I've met some amazing people in this company, made incredible friends, and I really feel like I made the right decision, and that this is where I am supposed to be.

For work, I am a manufacturers rep, and visit architects and designers and help them specify our products in their projects. I love it, and I've made some great friends the past few years at different firms. However, this year has been really hard on the design community. Building is way down, and the demand just isn't there. It's so hard going into a firm, only to find out that my friend, has been laid off. It's happening all over. First, it was my friend Aubrey, then Mary Ann, and today I found out that 2 men that I work with were laid off. Its so sad, especially during the holidays. I was talking to my mom about it last night, and I told her right now, all I can do is work my butt off and save. Andrew and I are cutting back a lot this Christmas, and we're really thinking about needs before wants. True needs. A few weeks ago, we thought about buying new sofas with my bonus check. We looked around and saw a bunch we liked, but the more we thought about it, we decided not to. Yes, our red, slip covered sofas aren't the most comfortable and I have longed for white sofas for a long time, but they were a great deal (both for $250) and they serve their purpose.

I hope that all of you out there are doing well. I feel like all I can give to anyone struggling at this time is my support and love. I'm so grateful for the friendships I've gained and restored from starting this blog! I'm grateful for my job and Andrew's job, for a warm place to live, for our families and our friends, for my Faith, and I trust that whatever happens will happen for a reason. "And again, I will put my trust in him..." (Hebrews 2:13)

9 comments:

The Stewarts said...

Hey Shan! It's Megan. How are you? I love your blog, and I lvoed this post. Glad to hear you are doing well. Having a good job really is a blessing, isn't it? You are smart to cut back - we have too. Better safe than sorry right? I love your designs! Way to go girl!

Lisa K said...

Joe and I have skimmed back on Christmas this year too! We're doing well based on economy comparisons, but deciding to be a stay-at-home mom has really pinched our finances! Appreciate not only your job security but also your kid-free days! =)

Heather said...

Billand I are cutting back this year too, and honestly it feels wierd to me, because I am such a giving person, I love to really make someone super happy at christmas. This year since we are remodeling the bathroom the hubs and I decided to buy eachtoher stuff we needed for the bathroom, and well....he neeeds underwear, wooo,....big excitement, but its stuff we really need. It ias just the way it is i guess. I had to see alot of people around me get laid off in October and it was heartbreaking, I am also working my rear off and trying to save, but sometimes it's hard.

cathycan said...

Amen sista! Scary times, but that's the nature of life, we have just had a smooth ride for so long. We'll come through it, believing that "by day and by night, he leads me along". love you!

Summer said...

Great post! I agree that times are scary, but I believe everything will work out. It definitely makes me realize how blessed I am to have a great job and for all the blessing I have in my life.

Scott and Lindsey said...

Hey, first I just wanted to say thanks for the tip on the ornament. I actually got one today. Not three though--we are trying to save too! They were half the price of the Sundance ones. Yay!
Anyway, I just wanted to say we are right there with you. Scott and I aren't even doing Christmas for each other, just families and maybe a little for Oliver. I'm glad I lost my job when I did, because it gave me time to start my business and I think that was a blessing in disguise :) Things work out in the craziest ways. We are just trying to pay off all of our debt so we can be in a much more stable position in case anything does happen. Scott's job just had a bunch of layoff's, but luckily he wasn't one of them.
I feel good though that this economy will turn around. Winter is always a rough time.

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Yeah, so many people in the design world are out of a job! It IS so scary. We have skimmed WAY back this year too. It's crazy, but I've actually enjoyed that -- it has made Christmas and its true meaning even more the focus.

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Oh - and I ALWAYS have those "ups and downs" on my blog. So inconsistant... You do WAY better than me!!!

sarah marie p said...

Hey Shan, I'm so sorry to hear that so many people close to you have been laid off. That's really horrible and reminds me of how lucky I am to have a job. Makes me want to get to work on time tomorrow and be on my best behavior! Eee!

Your post also reminded me of how important it is to save ... and reminded me that I should stop shopping right now and be wise with my $$. Man, times are so weird right now!

It's so true that we have so much to be thankful for though.

I'm so glad that we're friends! Yay for blogger buddies! And you're right - one day we WILL party down together! woo! Next year you're going through Fresno, right?