Saturday, December 6, 2008

{drained}

So, today I worked 14 hours. Yes, you read that right, 14 hours on a Saturday. Usually, I never work on Saturday, but my company had mandatory inventory, so I spent my day counting hardware. Honestly though, it wasn’t too bad. I love the people I work with, and they made the long day bearable and fun. The only problem is that now, I feel like its Monday and not Saturday. I drove home tonight thinking I had to get up tomorrow and go back to work, but thank goodness I don’t! I plan on sleeping in, relaxing, oh, and sneaking a little religion in there somewhere!

The minute I got home though, the high I had at work left. I walked into a messy house that needs to be vacuumed, mopped, dusted, and have things picked up! (You know how your house gets when you have no time to clean it all week!?) Plus, I have a few more Christmas things that I need to get up and work on my Christmas cards. Then to top it all off, Andrew is up at his family’s Christmas party tonight, that I had to miss. I was really bummed about it too, because I love seeing and spending time with this family. There are so many people, and I really only see them about twice a year!

*sigh* It seems like when I am physically drained, I get more emotional about things. On my way home from work, I called Andrew to see how the party was. We only talked on the phone for a few minutes because I could tell there was a lot going on, and he kept getting distracted, so I told him to just call me back when he was leaving. I felt kind of bad, because it sounded so fun and I wasn’t there. Then when I got home, I was checking blogs and I know it’s terrible, but I couldn’t help but feel a little envious. Envious of friends with close, girlfriends who they do a lot of stuff with, envious of vacations people are taking, envious of talents, etc, etc. I know, I know, I shouldn't feel down, but it’s sooo hard not to feel like, “Dang man…I wish I had that going on in my life!”

Have you ever felt the same way? Tell me I'm not alone! Anyway, I’m leaving the chores for later so I can get into the tub and relax while I read the latest buzz about Heidi and Spencer in US Magazine (I know, it's terrible, but I'm addicted!), and then I’m off to bed!

Ooooh!....Before I forget, and so I don't end this sounding like a Debbie Downer, I wanted to share a few, new finds! See, my work sells hardware (as well as a billion other things), and while we were counting inventory, if a piece of hardware was out of it's packaging or didn't have a matching pair with it, we had to throw it out. I was so shocked, because I was like, "Uh, guys!? These are NICE knobs and pulls!" but they didn't care, so I started dumpster diving for ones I liked! I only had time to grab a few, and I have no idea what I'll put them on, but hey, they were free and pretty!

8 comments:

Chris and Logan said...

Shannon, I think you're so great. You are real. Sometimes when I look at blogs, I get envious of other peoples lives too. But I have to remind myself that it's only a small portion of their lives that they are blogging about, who knows what else really goes on that we don't see. I would love to get together with you sometime, you were always such a fun friend to have.

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Gosh Shan. I totally feel the same way. It' easy to feel down about things like that... Especially those who have friends and family close to them. That one gets to me a lot lately. Today, while attending church alone with Sydney (Gavin hasn't been for a while now b/c of work), I look around and start getting emotional. Everyone is there with their families. Their husbands are helping with their kids. And here I am, struggling with Sydney for the full 3 hours by myself. Sigh... It was just depressing for me. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know you are not alone in feeling those feelings. And remember what you DO have that others don't. That helps dispel those feelings rather quickly.

Scott and Lindsey said...

I feel like that all the time when I check other people's blogs! I think it is normal. At times it seems that everyone else is more creative, have more friends, play more with their husbands, have great kids, etc. The kids thing is always especially hard for me and Scott. I don't really blog about it, but I definitely get a little sad sometimes. Life is just up and down and everyone has their days. I just remember all of the good in my life and it always makes me feel better!
I remember the first year I worked at Silver Pelican I was the only one who worked Christmas (everyone was out of town) and I missed all of my family parties. It totally sucked and I was so sad and drained after the holidays were over (I was pulling 70 hour weeks). Anyway, I'm just saying I feel your pain. You are such a cute and talented girl though and just remember everyone is jealous of you!

sarah marie p said...

Man, 14 hours?! That's nuts! And you missed a Xmas party?! No wonder you were feeling down. I'm so sorry you had such a rough day -- I'm glad you decided to ditch the chores for the bath & Speidi. You deserve it after that long of a time!

I definitely know what it's like to feel envious of others. I think it's one of my biggest downfalls. I seriously need to work on that and just be happy with all that I've got. I'm sure I've even been jealous of your awesome reupholstering skills and cool furniture finds!

Those are some really neato pulls! Love em! Good job for rescuing those!

sarah marie p said...

p.s. Love you Shan!

paula said...

I feel your blog pain girl! Sometimes I just have to stop looking at people's blogs because I think their life is so much more exciting than mine and it gets me down. Or I think, "Why didn't they invite me?" Then I remind myself...of course most people only post the good things...how often have you come across a blog post that says something like, "My husband and I got in the biggest fight last night because he's ann ass. My kids are being brats. I can't fit into any of my clothes and none of my friends want to go hang out right now." etc. etc.

You know the term "it looks good on paper.".....it also applies to blogs. You are the bomb and if you ever want to go out (shopping, movie, dinner, museum, fabric store, etc) CALL ME! I am up for just about anything!

Heather said...

Jeese reading this blog was like reading a carbon copy of something I would have write, i have BEEn there sister! I am forever jealous of othe rpeiopls lives, even though I know mine is pretty awesome.The grass is always greener.

Heather said...

Jeese reading this blog was like reading a carbon copy of something I would have write, i have BEEn there sister! I am forever jealous of othe rpeiopls lives, even though I know mine is pretty awesome.The grass is always greener.