Saturday, December 20, 2008

{Christmas Candy ~ Peanut Brittle}

Every year since our first Christmas together, Andrew and I have made peanut brittle together. The recipe is so easy- you just need a little patience and a good candy thermometer!
This is what you'll need...
2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups raw Spanish peanuts
2 Tbsp butter
2 tsp baking soda
DIRECTIONS
1) Grease a large cookie sheet. Set aside.
2) In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat, bring to a boil sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in peanuts. Set candy thermometer in place, and continue cooking. Stir frequently until temperature reaches 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water separates into hard and brittle threads.
3) Remove from heat; immediately stir in butter or margarine and baking soda; pour at once onto cookie sheet. (BE VERY CAREFUL! I recommend having one adult hold the saucepan while the other person pours the mixture onto the cookie sheet.) With 2 forks, lift and pull peanut mixture into rectangle about 14x12 inches; cool. Snap candy into pieces.
I also recommend using a wooden spoon to stir the mixture. After you pour it onto the cookie sheet, coat the wooden spoon with butter to spread the mixture across the cookie sheet while it's still hot. DO NOT TOUCH THE PEANUT BRITTLE UNTIL IT HAS FULLY COOLED (about 45 minutes), and then enjoy!!!

4 comments:

Lisa K said...

I have a lot of regular peanuts, not Spanish ones, on hand. Can I use those?

Karlie said...

Mmmm. I love that peanut brittle. I have never tried to make it though. Candy thermometers and all that? It seems harder than it probably is. My mom makes it. That is fun you guys do that together.

sarah marie p said...

What a yummy tradition!

Jessica Kettle said...

mmmm. yes please! THat looks delicious. Well, first, i am flattered that you lika my style. Most of my clothes are from GAP, Anthro (sale only duh), J Crew (um, again sale only), and Forever 21. Although the cardi in the pic is from Ann Taylor Loft, which I usually never go to but they have lotsa cute cardis right now. My jeans and orange top were both forever 21 and the yellow shoes are jcrew via down east.