Monday, November 10, 2008

{Why I hate the snow- Part 1}

Now that it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas here in Utah, I’ve been thinking of ways to avoid the snow. It’s not that I don’t like snow, it’s just I’ve had…well, a few bad experiences driving in it. Both of which happened when I was up at school at Utah State University.

(Now, if this were a movie, this is the part where I’d gaze fondly into space as everything got hazy, until I was transported back in time to my freshman year of college…)

Ah yes, I remember it like it was yesterday. Walking home from class in slush, wondering if the campus maintenance people ever watched the news, because if they did watch the news, they would see the weather report and know that it was going to snow, and maybe, just maybe they would have their plows ready to clear the sidewalks and streets. Luckily we didn’t live far from campus. I lived in a cinder block hell-hole also known as the dorms. I moved up to Logan in the early fall, not knowing any of my roommates, and of course I was lucky enough to share a room with a lovely, yet crazy girl who had just decided to quit taking her meds cold turkey, the first week of school. Oh the fun we had that first year! My other roommates and I perfected the skill of walking on egg shells anytime Trudy* was around. (*names have been changed to protect the innocent). We eventually became accustomed to hearing slamming drawers and doors, and on occasion, getting locked out of our own house (or in my case, my bedroom) as she ranted and raved about one of her plastic spoons being thrown away. Seriously.
(This is a picture of me walking to and from school)
The day of the first, hard, thick snowfall I walked home to find the door locked and jammed. I could hear her inside, crying and talking on the phone, so I thought I’d wait a minute or two while she cooled off. After about 5 minutes, I knocked. No answer. I tried to get the door open, but couldn’t, so I knocked again. Still no answer. Finally, after pounding on the door yelling, “TRUDY! I PAY RENT TOO! YOU HAVE TO LET ME IN!!!” I’d had about enough. I left the apartment in my little Plymouth Acclaim and decided to take a drive instead of standing in the cold. Now, if you’re not familiar with Logan, Utah let me give you a little visual.
No, really- Logan is a little town with miles of nothing outside of it. So anyway, I drove north on Main Street and ended up just north of the Idaho boarder. About the time I thought I should turn around, I noticed a really cool, old cemetery off the road a bit, and since I had my camera with me, I thought it would be a really great idea to pull off into the snow and drive into the cemetery to take some pictures. This wasn’t one of my better ideas, and I must have been going a little too fast, because when I went to turn into the entrance, my car slid and I almost landed in a ditch. I stopped about 4 inches short of the drop off, but my car was stuck and it was starting to get dark. Oh, and I didn’t have a jacket. Really smart, Shan!
You know those people that tell stories about their kid getting stuck under a car and they have this incredible adrenaline rush and they lift the car off the kid? Well, this isn’t one of those stories. I will admit however, that I did try to pull my car out of the snow with my bare hands, but the car didn’t budge. At this point, I was crying and I ran to the side of the road, waving my hands at cars passing by. Maybe I looked a little too frantic, because nobody stopped. People slowed down and pointed, yes, but nobody stopped. Lame, I know. I was about to start walking, when an old, beat down Toyota Tacoma pulled over. The driver was a scraggly looking man in his 30’s with a snaggle tooth that made his lip stick out kind of funny. He rolled down his window and said, “Hey there- need a ride?” I looked at him, then back at my car, and back at him and said, “Well, no…my car is stuck.” Right after I said it, I knew I was dead. I should have said, "Oh, no. I'm in the drama program at USU and I'm working on scene in which I'm frantic and scared. Being cold helps me get into character. Thanks for the offer though!" But no, he knew I had no escape route, and I was stranded. I imagined the guilt that Trudy would feel when she learned about my disappearance. “Wait, why was Shan not home? Oh, right, because you locked her out!” my roommates would say to her. She would cry and years of therapy wouldn't help suppress the shame she felt from locking me out. The man interrupted my thoughts when he said, “Well, get in and I’ll tow you out…” He must have read the “Are you freaking kidding? I’m not getting in the car with you!” look on my face because he then said, “...uh...or just follow me down to your car.” I hesitated, but figured it was either, get towed out with a chance of being murdered or freeze to death. I chose to be towed. It took him about 2 minutes to get me out and when he finished, I offered to pay him, but he just shook his head and drove off. I felt guilty for judging him, and when I got home I told everyone what happened.
Trudy never locked us out again after that.

15 comments:

Lisa K said...

Don't you just love crazy roommates? I had a couple of bipolar roomies which always made life exciting, but my most memorable was a bulimic roommate who would binge in the middle of the night by eating all of our food, not hers. That ended up being an expensive semester.

cathycan said...

Oh Shan! Can I borrow this for my Memoir Class? I pictured Steve Buschemi as the truck driver hehe.
ALWAYS take a coat with you when you drive in the snow!!

Tara Thue said...

Love the story-I also hate driving in the snow. That is one thing that people DO NOT understand in DC...real Utah snow. Whenever there is even a chance of snow here schools close, traffic stops. It's ridiculous!

Barry Cann said...

Ha! Trudy! What a great fake name. But seriously - damn her and her crazy ways. She could have gotten you killed!

Danielle said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I love "meeting" new bloggy friends! I'll totally be stopping by and checking in! :)

Shellie said...

love the story shan. and that you wanted to stop at a cool old cemetary :)

caitlin said...

A couple things crack me up about this story.

1- I have been to Logan one too many times when it is covered in snow. Some people don't realize it snows A TON there! So quite the visual for me.

2- You saw a cemetary and pulled over without a coat! and

3- The thing you were thinking was "Trudy" will feel so bad when she finds out I dissapeared!

Great story! Oh and I am glad you are alive!

Shane and Jamie Smith said...

I feel your pain with driving in the snow, it scares me half to death and I'm still in Logan and I'm not looking forward to any snow days up here....maybe I will just have to stay in until the snow goes away!!!

Meesh said...

I didn't know you were an Aggie! That's awesome...although your experience of Logan less than desirable. Logan really is a great place, I hope you don't judge it off of your freshman year experiences from hell. Oh and I think I had your same roommate my junior year...seriously, she was NUTSO!

April said...

Yes, it was cold...and yes, Trudy did add some drama. I forgot this story though.
Thanks for taking the bullet so we didn't get locked out anymore.
Ah, USU...good times.

alyssa said...

As much as I love winter...if I lived in the snow I would really hate it, I think. However, visiting places where it snows is fun :)

PS, I really hope you do the crafty challenge, YAY! :)

Clair said...

Wow, what a story! I know that I've had my fair share of roommate Trudys! They do frustrate things, but on the other hand if it weren't for Trudy you wouldn't have this totally cool story.

I love your pic. of you walking to school.

Chels & Zak said...

Remarkable story. Part 2... Bring it on. Call us to play.

sarah marie p said...

OH my gosh! That is the craziest story! And the craziest roommate! I'm so glad scary man helped you and didn't chop you into pieces! I mean, the moral of the story is don't judge others. Yes, that's right! ;) I love that you were going to take photos at the graveyard! Spoooooky!

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Hahaha. Shan, you are seriously the BEST story teller. I could picture everything. I love your description of the straggle-tooth man. I seriously LOL when I read this. I actually remember you telling this story to me when you came and visited me up in Idaho just a bit later. I didn't know you had such a crazy roommate! Oh man, those college days were so full of drama! :) Glad you are alive! :)