Sunday, November 2, 2008

{it's begining to look a lot like...}

...Christmas? I know what you're thinking. "Ummm...Shan? It's only November 2nd!" I know, I know...but to be honest, I've put away the Halloween decor and although I've left most of the autumn decorations up, I'm sick of them. Right now, I want to put my Christmas tree up. For heavens sake, I started thinking of and making Christmas crafts in September! Maybe it was the fact that all major retail stores put up their Holiday decor the day after Labor Day that got me in the mood, but either way, I'm ready! I have so many great ideas that I can't wait to share with you all! Stay tuned, because it's just a matter of time before you start seeing them!

I've also started thinking a lot about Holiday traditions. I've borrowed a lot of them from my mom, because I think they're fabulous and they bring back a lot of great memories. Every Christmas when I was growing up, my mom got a Dickens Christmas Village house for Christmas. She started with just a few, and now her collection spreads all over her house. It's beautiful! I loved watching her set up the little village, complete with fake snow, miniature trees and tiny victorian village people. I would imagine myself living in one of the houses and every year, I'd pick a new house to "live" in. I'd imagine the rooms in the house, and decorate them in my mind. I recently found a Dickens Village house for sale and decided to start my own collection! I hope someday, my children will have fun imagining while they look at them too!

My mom also collects vintage glass ornaments. She's found them at various estate sales and such, and I think they add a unique touch to her Christmas tree. I remember one year, we were sitting in the family room and we kept hearing random pops coming from the living room. My mom ran to the living room where she found my toddler brother placing a glass ornament in his mouth and crunching down, shattering the ornament. Luckily, he didn't cut his mouth, but a few of her ornaments were ruined. Through out the years, a few more have broken from cats climbing the tree or by toddlers throwing them into the wall, but those that remain are beautiful! I found this picture online and loved the display of the antique ornaments! There are many more traditions I love and hope to carry on as Andrew and I start our family, and I hope we develop a few of our own! What are some of your Holiday traditions?

7 comments:

The Smith Family said...

Oh my gosh, I feel the SAME way! Maybe when your in the craft makin' bizznass you get sick of holiday's sooner because you have to plan like TWO months in advance. lol.
Shelley

cathycan said...

Bridgette has one of those feather trees! and I have some of those ornaments! LOve the old ones, I'm dreading the new kitties with the christmas tree this year!

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

What fun traditions. I am ready for Christmas too! Hmmm.. as far as my own traditions, I don't have many yet. But, like you, I may start up on one my mom done. She collects nativities. She has them all over the house. I love to look at the detail and stylings of each one. She has one from Poland (from me!), one from Africa (it is SO cool), and one from Israel. Those are the most "exotic" ones. She has many other beautiful ones too. I may start my own collection soon (when I get some more $$$!)

Lisa K said...

They are playing Christmas music on the radio now!! I'm so excited to start listening to that.

We have the tradition of new PJs on Christmas Eve and I'm so excited to buy some for Colton! He'll have no clue what's going on, but I'm excited for him.

Karlie said...

Love the vintage, a unique way to decorate, and you don't see it very often. Mike is all about the holidays. He actually said to me the day after Halloween. "Is it weird that I want to decorate for Christmas already?" I immediately said, "YES!" A little to early to decorate for me, but never too early to think about it!

sarah marie p said...

Oooh those vintage ornaments are so cool! Yay for Christmas and traditions! I love that you have a little Dickens Village of your own!

Ginny said...

Like your holiday decorative accents & also your beautiful home.