Wednesday, October 15, 2008

{oooh, charming!}

When I was about 16, I started collecting silver charms. My first charms came from a Guess necklace my mom gave me for Christmas. See the little silver key in the picture above? That was one of the charms on that necklace! Since then, I've collected more than 30 charms. If only I had room on my bracelet to put them all on here! Every time I wear it, I get so many compliments.
Each charm has a story behind it, and when I look at it my mind is flooded with great memories- Christmas, vacations, birthdays, and anniversaries.

Andrew gave me the little diamond ring charm our first Christmas together. Two months later we were engaged. It was a nice little premonition! Funny story. See the little round charm with the words in the center? There used to be a picture of an ex boyfriend there. I remember my mom gave it to me for my birthday when we were dating. It didn't last very long, and neither did the picture. Now there are just words! I should try to find a tiny picture of Andrew, right? *making a mental note* The plier is one of my favorite charms! It reminds me of my love for fixing and making things. Every girl should own her very own pair of pliers! The little kitten to the right of it looked just like a cat I used to have named Bitty. I saw the charm in Macy's and had to have it. Bitty was a terrible cat who used to poop on my bed and never liked to cuddle. Unfortunately we only had her for about a year and a half when she wandered into our neighbors backyard and their dogs killed her. That's a sad story for another day. Wow...Debby Downer right? Let's move on!
Another favorite charm in the fortune cookie. Everyone needs a little luck right? Maybe I'll wear this bracelet and go buy a Idaho lotto ticket!

I can't wait to collect more charms. I hope to have many bracelets filled with old, funky charms bursting at seams with memories and stories. I'd love to pass these onto my posterity someday!P.S. If you have any questions about the charms, I'd love to tell you! Just ask in a comment and I'll respond! What do you collect?

13 comments:

paula said...

I too collect charms-I don't have as many as you but it is one of my favorite pieces of jewelry. I have a charm for each vacation I've been on. I would LOVE to see your charm bracelet-wear it tomorrow night. I love the little beach chair. What is the story behind that? I have been looking for a little dress form or sewing machine charm for a while. If you ever see one let me know.

Katie said...

I love charms! I have only ever had janky ones that had no meaning and were quickly lost. I would love to have a great collection like you do!

Design Gal said...

Paula,
My grandpa used to make Adirondack chairs (aka the beach chair) so when I saw this charm, I knew I had to have it! I love it, but sometimes it snags on stuff.

Shellie said...

very cool. I use to have a charm bracelet but I lost it. That would be fun to start again. so where do you find charms?

Lisa K said...

I tried getting into charm collecting when I was 16, and that's when I learned that I'm just not a jewelry person. I collect kitchen stuff like cookbooks and pewter serving dishes.

Mama Cher, Ok, fine, it's Sharon said...

Your bracelet is just amazing! I love it, and of course it is fun to hear stories about each charm. I like to collect lanterns and have recently got into tea pots. Thanks for sharing!

lifeinredshoes said...

I think I'll go dig mine out of a drawer. Love the memories.

Robin said...

I love the little tea/coffee cup and saucer as well as the adirondack chair...adorable! Such a cute bracelet, and neat that it's full of meaning and memories!

What do I collect? Lately my collections of purses, coats/jackets, and scarves all seem to be growing...not nearly as meaningful as a cute little charm bracelet, but a girl has to keep warm, right? Oh, and carry her wallet, phone, and keys too!

p.s. thanks for the comments on my blog!

...love Maegan said...

omg that is fantastic!! I love it...and no, I think you should leave the words that replaced your ex...it's fab!

Katie said...

Shannon, you're awesome! I commented on how much I'd love to have a meaningful charm bracelet.. then go check the mail and BAM! There it is! It's beautiful and I can't thank you enough!

And yes, PLEASE, let's get together soon!

sarah marie p said...

that's adorable! I love all the meaning behind the charms!

McCall said...

love the FCCLA charm. ha. alta.

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

What a fun collection!