Tuesday, October 7, 2008

{not your average jack-o-lantern}

Are you feeling a little ambitious?
Maybe you're bored with the same ol' same ol' pumpkin carving techniques.
Hallmark Magazine has some really fun, cute ideas to get your creative juices flowing!
P.S. Don't you just love the little mice in the picture?

Oh, and as long as we're talking about Pumpkins, what is yummier than freshly dried pumpkin seeds? When I was younger, my mom would scoop out all seedy gunk, soak and then toast the seeds. I loved the smell that lingered in the house as they toasted.
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
--------------------------------------------------
Ingredients
One medium sized pumpkin
Salt
Olive oil
---------------------------------------------------
1- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut open the pumpkin and use a strong metal spoon to scoop out the insides. Separate the seeds from the stringy core. Rinse the seeds.
2- In a small saucepan, add the seeds to water, about 2 cups of water to every half cup of seeds. Add a tablespoon of salt for every cup of water. Bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
3- Spread about a tablespoon of olive oil over the bottom of a roasting pan. Spread the seeds out over the roasting pan, all in one layer. Bake on the top rack for 20 minutes or until the seeds begin to brown. When browned to your satisfaction, remove from the oven and let the pan cool on a rack. Let the seeds cool all the way down before eating. Either crack to remove the inner seed (a lot of work and in my opinion, unnecessary) or eat whole.

9 comments:

Lisa K said...

That is really cute! And I love pumpkin seeds too. Halloween is just the best, huh?

sarah marie p said...

OK, that little jackolantern is outta control! very cool. and yum - now i think i should make some toasted pumpkin seeds!

Scott and Lindsey said...

It reminds me of a wedding cake I saw on Platinum weddings. I think the pumpkin is cuter though. The cake was a little silly.

Ashley said...

oh how i love toasted pumpkin seeds. mmm!

I'm so going to do that this year!

...love Maegan said...

are you kidding me with that Jack-O-Lantern???!?!?!?!? fantastic. ...and now I want those salty yummy seeds.

irunwithscissors said...

OMG! LOVE the carriage pumpkin! Reminds me of Cinderella!

Heather said...

Hi there! I love the pumpkin ideas!! and how cool you make jewelry, i make clay jewelry, (mostly food and stuff) but am interested in trying working with resin and glass. Currently I am trying to master making clay pendants that look really finished. It's a bit frustrating! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I will add your two blogs:)

dolcechic said...

Thanks for sharing the link, and the recipe!!! I am loving that pumpkin. I hope I'm crafty enough to make it!

breurmedia said...

Have you seen the "above average" Jack O' Lanterns they do in the Hamptons every year? (And, for the name of the site, it would seem that great minds think alike; I actually found YOUR site while looking for theirs!)

http://www.NotYourAverageJack.com