Thursday, October 30, 2008

{happy halloween}

(Pumpkins above carved by our family. Left to right carved by dad, mom, barry, andrew, me, mine again, and barry again)
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I have always loved dressing up, and I wish I would have found some pictures of past costumes to humor you all with, but since I didn't pillage my parents photo albums, I'll share a true scary stories with you instead.
When I was six, my family moved back to Utah from Arizona. We lived in Bennion (aka West Valley) at the time in a brown split level house that gave me the creeps from day one. I remember not liking the layout of the house, particularly the lower family room. See, like all split levels, when you entered the house there was a landing and you could see the basement/family room downstairs and the kitchen/living room upstairs. I always thought the basement was creepy, even though it was finished, and I often had nightmares about being pushed down the stairs. Nightmares were a regular occurrence for me in that house, and I still remember them vividly. Everything from aliens coming in through the windows downstairs to seeing a shadow of a person in my bedroom as I was sleeping.
We lived in that house for about a year before moving to Sandy, but I'll never forget what happened the night we were moving out. The whole house was packed up except for our mattresses, which were laid out in the upstairs living room to sleep on before we moved the next day. The vertical blinds that were usually on the back porch window were gone, and from where our "beds" were laid out, you could see outside. It was about 1 o'clock in the morning when I woke up all of the sudden. I remember looking at the clock radio and turning over to face the window. That's when I saw her. A lady in white. White hair, white face, and a white dress. Where her eyes were supposed to be was dark and she had a half, closed mouth smile. I felt my heart start to race and I closed my eyes, holding very still, hoping she wouldn't notice I was awake. I must have fallen back asleep, because when I woke up again, the clock said 3:30, and when I turned again, she was still there. I was so afraid, I couldn't move or speak. I closed my eyes and counted to about 30 before opening them up again, hoping she would be gone, but she was there. Standing and watching. Eventually I fell back asleep, and the next day we moved. I've never experienced anything like that since. The nightmares went away, and I was no longer creeped out by the house I lived in.
Years after that experience, I shared what happened that night with my mom and brother. Of course their first reaction was, "Are you sure you weren't dreaming?" but after all of the creepy things that happened in that house, I'm certain that I wasn't. My mom told me that she always thought that house was a little off. Things would mysteriously go missing and then suddenly reappear. Doors would be locked when nobody locked them, and the whole "aura" of the house was not good.
I do believe in spirits and ghosts. I don't know why we see them sometimes, and I don't believe all are bad. Maybe the lady in white was watching over us that night, or maybe she wanted to say goodbye. Who knows...I do know that it is something I will never forget.
Happy Halloween!!!

10 comments:

Lisa K said...

Creepy story! Those are cute pumpkins your family carved!

caitlin said...

Spoooky. That's a great idea for a post! Oh and good job on the pumpkins..mine always look like a little kid carved it.

alyssa said...

I get so creepy feeling when even the blinds or curtains are open at night...even in a super-non scary house! Haha. That would have really freaked me out!

Meg and Alex said...

Wow that's crazy! How creepy. I can't believe she was sitting there the whole night. That's good you haven't had any more run ins with ghosts. I was thinking what to blog about today and I think this is a great idea, I'm going to copy you and tell my ghost stories too.

Mama Cher, Ok, fine, it's Sharon said...

YIKES! I totally have the goosebumps!

Summer said...

Scary, but on a lighter note I do love the pumpkins.

sarah marie p said...

Whoaaa creepster! That is the scariest story! I don't like that she didn't have eyes! Ahhhhhhhhhh. that is seriously freaky.

Ashley said...

oooooo... creeppppy! Well at least your pumpkins are ADORABLE!

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Love the pumpkins! All are so different and creative!
I remember you telling me that story once. Totally freaked me out then... when I read it, it totally freaked me out again! That is so spooky! But since then, you've always been one to look for scary places -- I remember the endless driving we did -- like going up to the Pepperwood House, or over to that mine up Cottonwood canyon. Those things always freaked me out so bad!!! :)

cathycan said...

Did you listen to TAL Saturday, people were calling in with their scariest experience! That was a bad house! Filthy before we moved in(one of dad's "bargains")
In a questionable part of town...I remember your kindergarten teacher thought we were poor! hahaha, dad was making buku bucks! oh well, it was a growing experience!